586,077 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Question

I want to pgrm a twin spindle twin turret lathe efficiently using gibbs.
    I do not need the full blown MTM to do this right? I see the twin turn MDD sitting there that looks like it'll do what I want but .....I will need a post and how does the post handle 2 programs?
    Does it spit out two programs in sync or two seperate ones that need to be edited together? I do that now anyways. I do one head, post it. Do the other head, post it, then manually sew it all together. That really sucks. I cannot see impending crashes
    and interference. Controll is MSC-501 ( Fanuc 18 )
    Any info for me?
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Turbine,
    As far as MTM is concerned, every machine is different. If you don't have an MDD that is machine specific, you will wind up crashing everything. You will have to get the full blown MTM in able to do what you want to do effectivley. On top of that, an MTM post will have to be built for your machine. Just because you have a certain type of machine and joe down the street has the same machine, doesn't mean a thing when writing programs for them. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's true. You can upgrade your current version to handle your MTM needs, just let me know and I can price that out for you or ask your current reseller.
    Dennis Schlack
    Applications Engineer
    D3 Technical Services
    Springfield, Missouri
    417-831-7171

Thanks moose. I kinda already knew that, and I already went thru my reseller Dan P. The price almost sent us all to the hospital. I just wanted to know if there was a eaiser, softer way to get the twin turn MDD to work in conjunction with a post.

I make two pgrms and edit in wait code spindle transfers live tools etc. But even then..when ya get to the machine ya move tools around so they don't slam into one another when indexing and try to see what you can get away with as far as simultaneous
    cutting. not exactly optimum.
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

Yeah, that is the hard way of doing things, but consider how far CNC Software has come and maybe, if we all wait long enough, those prices will go down much like computers and cell phones did after the, "newness", wears off. Sorry I didn't have a better answer for you, where is "gibbsgod" when you need him?!!
    Dennis Schlack
    Applications Engineer
    D3 Technical Services
    Springfield, Missouri
    417-831-7171

MTM --- More info

Sorry it took me soo long.

What kind of twin turn machine is it you have Turbine? Things have been changing and you could (if not now, soon) be in luck for the pricing.

With the MTM options and the custom post, MDD and VMM files, you can do everything that you and Moose talked about. There are several other things that the MTM product does VERY well.

Pinch Turning:

This is a "1" click option to add the sync to the operation and define spindle control to either turret. This option also will calculate staggered starting positions that end togeter (variable feed rate) and constant surface speed, all the while keeping the sync and calculating the cycle time.

Tool Wait:

This will not only allow you to have a pause or wait statment in the program but graphicly define the position that the waiting tool should sit at for the desired time. This is EXTRA COOL when dealing with a longer or shorter tool (like a boring bar or drill) that could bring the tool or turret into cutting envelope of the other spindle.

Spindle Control:

With this option you can graphiclly define which turret has the control over the spindle when turning with both turrets on one spindle. By choosing one operation or the other you can alter this, and in doing so the cycle time calculation will be dynamiclly updated.

Part Transfers, part shifts:

These are done with the custom options that are created to match your machine options. (the reason why the post is so much, look below for more info) With these options you need only to enter the correct information into a defined dialog for each kind of non cutting operation (bar feed, bar pull, robot load/unload, part shift, part transfer, balanced turning (with both spindles in the part), even the ability to set an index of the part while doing a hand off (for alignment to other features or fusxturing on the sub spindle). There are many more but, you get the picture.

The POST:

The reason you fell off yout chair and bounced your head off the floor because of price is because this is NOT just a POST. Here is the best answer I can give you with out confusing you.

The post as you know is VERY custom. This works with the custom MDD (a machine deffinition file) file. This file has all the importaint information about the machine in it, like machine setup, number of turrets, # of tools (which ones are live and not), where they are and where they can go, number of spindles, how they move, what they can and cant do.

The VMM (Virtual Machine file) controls all the movement information, travel speed, turret index time, excel, de-excel rates and anything else that moves that I can't remember.

So, after all this ranting and before I go drink a cold one, you can hopefully see that there is much more to it than just a post that costs a lot of money.

I'm sure that this is much more information than you wanted but, I hope it helps you out. I think the MTM option is a VERY needed option for a company like yours that is still doing it by hand. Just add up your hours for:

Programming, hand editing, machine tryout (dry run), editing again, dry run editing again and then finally running the program. I'm sure after 10 or so jobs you should have the upgrade to MTM just about paid off. (or your well on your way)

Good nite to all!!

GG

Thanks GG!! You the Man!!
    Dennis Schlack
    Applications Engineer
    D3 Technical Services
    Springfield, Missouri
    417-831-7171

Thanks GG. Where ya been?

So I take it he needs to update the software along with the post.
    I know that Paul from Post Hast can help with the post.

But if he does not have the tool in the software ,This will not really work well.

Turbine you should really think about the last thoughts from Gibbsgod,As a Software dealer I to have seen this to many times.

Some times you have to spend some to make some but in the long run you will be WAY better off.

JM2C
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

To CadCAM

There is a software upgrade that he will need. What modules he needs depends on what he currently has and the complexity of the twin spindle machine.

The posts can't be done by Paul for this type of application. As I stated in the last post I added (the real long and rambling one) There are several things that get done to make the post work with the software configuration.

In short, most other software's that program these types of machines have a "Off the Shelf" product that they generate a post for, or worse leave it up to the customer to do them selfs.
    GibbsCAM in more of a custom application that is designed to program you exact machine with your machines options.

GG

Where ya been?

GG,
    Turbine asked where ya been..... I got $20.00 that says golf was one of the activities, racing or building engines is another....
    SO.......................?
    Dennis Schlack
    Applications Engineer
    D3 Technical Services
    Springfield, Missouri
    417-831-7171

You owe me $20

I have been working and playing DAD.

Some time you have to do the things that you love and not the things you need or have to do.

GG

I STAND CORRECTED!!!!

GG,
    Well, that's all good, glad to hear too..... I owe ya $20.00 will I see you in Feb.?
    Moose
    Dennis Schlack
    Applications Engineer
    D3 Technical Services
    Springfield, Missouri
    417-831-7171

To Gibbsgod

You are saying that paul can not make a post for the software that you sell using his post now?
    I am at a lost for that.

Maybe you can fill me in on this thought. Please
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

cadcam, while it's true PostHaste is a Gibbs partner they are not the official post of Gibbs, just a 3rd party option that users can mess with themselves, as you can't do your own post tweaks on the the "real ones"

GG I just remembered that the seminar Nov 19 is BAAAAADDDDD
    day for me. I may not make it, unless there is enough people in agreement with me to change that date.
    It's opening day of deer season in CT. I'm sure I'm not the only one that isn't going because of that. I am definitely going to see if that is changable.

Turbine, thanks for the reply. I do know that they are not the only post. But I do know there capabilities on there post making.

Paul's a long time friend & bizness partner over the years.

Well thanks for your time.
    Cadcam