586,108 active members*
2,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAM for SolidWork? Is it any good?

BobCAM for SolidWork? Is it any good?

I am new to CNC and trying to make some informed decisions on what software really works and what does not?

I have BobCAM V24 that came with our 3 axis CNC router but I am not impressed with it at all. It does not open parts we have drawn in SolidWorks 2006 very well and it is very hard to set up the initial tool paths. I have sought help from people who use BobCAM and they felt it was just the way BobCAM V24 worked?

Are there many people on the forum using BobCAM for solidworks? What has been your experience with it, please? Good and Bad.

We are looking at upgrading SolidWorks so I want to make an informed decision on our CNC software too.

Thanks

If you are working in SolidWorks you should take a look at HSMWorks.

HSMXpress (For 2D machining is free) HSMXpress | HSMWorks ? Integrated CAM for SolidWorks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXi45OvKJcg&list=UUctqoIdwGTx85mqrPtzgK7Q& index=2]HSMXpress HD - Official Video - YouTube[/ame]

[QUOTE=inspirtech;1239675]If you are working in SolidWorks you should take a look at HSMWorks.

The poster asked a specific question, which your response has nothing to do with. You are posting a link to your own business and it should be pulled form the thread. Stick to the thread topic.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

cismontguy was asking about programing in SolidWorks and expressed dissatisfaction in his current solution.

I simply directed him to a free solution to program his 2D parts in SolidWorks.

This may or may not be the right solution for him.

SolidWorks 2006

BobCAM for SolidWorks does not support SolidWorks 2006, you would need to be running SolidWorks 2009 or greater to use the plug in. BobCAM is a plug in for SolidWorks

Watch this video to learn more:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RW20761-JU]Getting Started With BobCAM V3 - YouTube[/ame]

BTW HSMworks ( free version is only 2D ) supports 2010 or greater.

As far as working with SolidWorks files in V24, you can import SLDPRT files. If you are having an issue opening a file you would want to make sure that the file is not open in SolidWorks at the time you are trying to open it in BobCAD. SolidWorks doesn't like to share files.

If you are still having an issue working with the file, export the file from SolidWorks as an STEP file, which BobCAD will work with very well.

Because you are running SolidWorks 2006 I can't recommend the BobCAM software as it's not supported in your version. If you were looking for better CAM features for stock setup, part zero and tool path options you should consider the V25 software instead.

As with anything there is a learning curve, there are many users that will read this thread that know BobCAD CAM software well. If you post a sample project and or part I am sure we can help you understand the work flow and help you get up and running.

What machine did you purchase and what kind of parts are you trying to make?
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

We had very good success with V2 and have just moved to V3. I find it great. All CAD and CAM in one package and simulation. V3 is quick to learn and has very powerful toolpath options. Excellent customer support from Al and the Bobcad team. I would very much recommend it. We use the pro lathe and mill with SW2012

BobCAM V2 Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTArhzXwoEE BobCAM for SolidWorks - YouTube

More information....
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

OK, sounds like we have to consider going to an updated version of SolidWorks and then an update to BobCAM? Thank you for the video links.

To answer your question, we bought a CNC Digital Wood Carver (CNC router). I am using it as a learning tool for the shop so we can move into a 3 axis CNC machine at a later date. In the mean time we will be machining/routing male and female moulds and cutting our parts for our business in 2D and 3D, while learning more about CNC programming.

Cismontguy