586,111 active members*
3,320 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofit old Cnc with kflop-kanalog

Hello this is my first post.

I recently bought a motionmaster 4-axis cnc router.

The Fagor 8025m controller that runs the drives has an internal problem, so I'm looking to replace it with a pc based control.

I have never done anything with cnc routers before and need a lot of help understanding everything.

Currently there are 4 dc servo motors on x, y, z and w axis' run by Glentek GA370-3 drives. I think that they have analog and differential signals.I would like to keep the original drives and servo motors, but I need to know the process in interfacing with a pc. What do I need to connect the drives to a pc? I have looked at the dynomotion kflop with the kanalog. If I were to use those boards what else would be needed? I have heard about having to use breakout boards and opti inputs, etc. anyway a push in the right directin would be great

The drives should connect to the kanalog without any issue, if they're +/-10V analog, so all you need to connect the drives to a pc is a kflop/kanalog.

It's adding all the other inputs/outputs that can be problematic.

What I'd suggest you do is make up a list of all the inputs and outputs you'll require, and then start mapping them to the available inputs/outpus on the kflop/kanalog. I'm in the process of doing this for the mill I'm retrofitting, and I know I'll need additional inputs, so I'm looking at adding modbus to handle the non-critical inputs/outputs.

I really don't know other than limits and the spindle what I would need to connect. What are some things your are using the extra inputs and outputs for

Of the top of my head, the essential inputs are E-Stop and limits, and a key output would be the spindle.

Other optional ones I can think of right now are-
    Home switches
    MPG + axis select
    Anything else you'd like to have handy without having to move a cursor on a screen (i.e. cycle start, pause, feedhold)

The thing with the optional ones, is you don't have to add them from the start. You could get a useable machine and rely on the on screen buttons for them (with the exception of the home switches*), then decide later what you'd like to add as external buttons/dials.