586,114 active members*
3,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Mold Advice Please

Mold Advice Please

Hi

I'm having some difficulty figuring out the best way to mold a two sided part. I should add that I'm completely new to this.

This is a large part measuring 950x180x100mm. I'm not sure what shore rating silicone resin to use for this. I'm guessing the 15 Shore A is far too soft for such dimensions?

The main problem though is figuring out how to get the rear side detail into the casting without trapping lots of air or distorting the flat back of the cast part.

I've attached the front and rear views of the part along with the first half of the mold but I would be grateful for suggestions on how to tackle the second half of the mold.

Part Front:

Part Rear:

Mold Part 1:

Many thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails one20 mold1.jpg   one20 mold2.jpg   one20 mold3.jpg  

You are casting or injecting these?
    If you need the detail before casting try to use a small brush and add a layer of silicone (if that is what you are using) to the the critical areas then cast.
    You would probably also want to perform direct casting but place the mold in a vacuum to get the air out.
    If you don't have a vacuum you can try a vibratory shaker to get the bubbles to move to the top.
    15 shore is pretty soft. The softness have nothing to do with part size. The product may just fold in half on itself. If it is too hard it will not flex.
    From the internet---a rubberband is around 15-20 Shore A, a pencil eraser is around 40 Shore A, a rubber tire is 70 Shore A---just for reference.