586,082 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC OPERATOR

Question CNC OPERATOR

Hi,

Pls is it possible to fit a spindle held probe tool( that can do tool offsets and edge finding) on a china brand Vertical Machining Center that has a FANUC Oi-Mate MC controller?

I find it a little tasking and uncomfortable touching my tool to my work. Don't feel it is accurate enough.

Renishaw make them if you want the tool changer type, if manual mount then Heidenhain has one.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

CNC OPERATOR

Yes, but if that's all you are using it for, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a dial indicator type tool setter.

or buy one of those edge finders with a 10mm ball held by a spring and also get a solid type tool setting block for tool lengths. They both light up when touched. I worked a 6M for years and touched my tools onto the part and used an edge finder and I had no problems.
    if you want to add a renishaw probe and incorporate it into the system so it auto-sets tools it'll require options (Tool Measurement B) and possibly ladder changes and/or macros.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Renishaw make them if you want the tool changer type, if manual mount then Heidenhain has one.
    Al.

Thanks a mil moderator. I like to know the cost of a HEIDENHAIN type and how I can mount and use. New to machining

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Yes, but if that's all you are using it for, it would be cheaper and easier to buy a dial indicator type tool setter.

Much thanks underthetire. i like to know how it is ,the cost and where I CAN GET THIS. I AM NEW IN THE FIELD.

Thanks,

I like to know how the solid block tool setter works ,where to buy one and the cost? i am new in the biz of machining.

The Heidenhain is the KT130, it is actually a probe accessory for one of the DRO's, but I have used them successfully with Fanuc.
    They are manual mount into a tool holder, not suitable for tool changer due to the cord has to be plugged in to the receiver socket, the hook-up to Fanuc is generally straight forward if you have the dedicated input that Fanuc uses for G31 input, you also need macro option as the G31 reads the skip values into 5000 variables.
    The last time I checked they were around $850.00 plus $100 for the sapphire tip which is usually needed.
    If you look in the inputs, you should see a dedicated input for skip in, it normally does not need any ladder change.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

the solid tool height block with LED light is here (for example)
    SHARS Electronic Magnetic Z Axis Setter Pre Setter 0002" Gage Gauge CNC New | eBay

you sit it on your machine table or some other fixed point on the machine like the face of a chuck or the top of a fixture that doesn't move. The workshift Z height is pre-set to a fixed number. The distance the Z has moved (+ or -) from that reference point to the tool setting block is the Z offset for that tool. That's the theory anyway. In practice you must calculate the numbers exactly so it works as expected. You may need to add or subtract a set number to/from that movement distance depending on where you put the block and where your reference point is set. Once you work it out then it's quick and easy to set tools.
    To set the tool lengths you move the tool slowly downwards and when the tool touches the setting block it completes an electrical circuit and lights up. Some of them beep too.

here's an example edge finder. this one lights red and beeps.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160978261608