586,116 active members*
3,392 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > I don't understand why I don't get it

I don't understand why I don't get it

I have already built my router and I am begining the first mod to it. Taking off the single start ACME and adding 5 start. I have the Mach3. I have the inkscape and the draftsight. I'm getting pretty good with the Mach3 and G code. I can write simple programs for siple projects. Draftsight and inkscape. I'll tackle them soon enough. the basic concept is understood an simple projects can be done. i just have not had the time to sit down and learn anything yet. I have a couple of lower cost entry level image to litho or carve programs that use JPG or BMP. but I stiil don't get what is needed to covert SVG or DXF files to G-Code or create a toolpath. I have searched everywhere and I see links, some dont go anyplace to show anything useful. some are links to someone asking the same question with the same links that don't work or they are answered at a level that I can not understand.Some give example of S/W and for the life of me I dont see in the description of the product where it says this is what it does. In one link someone said use inkscape on the svg and then started talking on tracing the image.

Is there a learners permit forum where really confused people can ask questions without bothering the people helping others with real problems. The switch will turn on one day and it will all click. i test software in a lab environment for goodness sake. I do not understnd why I cant get this. My homemade machine works great for what I can make it do with what I did grasp.

I guess I need it spelled out
    Jim to convert a SVG file to run on your full up version of Mach3 you do this
    Jim to convert a dxf file to run on your full up version of Mach3 you do this.

will someone hold my hand for a while till I can get this. I am a fairly intellegent guy. my mechanical aptitude is high. My spelling sucks. I am a problem solver and i think outside the box. but the above problem is embarrasingly difficult. I don't know what else to say

Jim,
    To to do a tool path using an svg or dxf file, you need a cam program. This will import the file and then you tell it to do various operations such as pockets, drill holes, etc.
    There are many good cam programs out there from free to ridiculous in pricing.
    I personally use Draftsight as my cad program and Sheetcam for my cam program to produce the gcodes necessary.

Do a google on cam programs or search here on the zone. Find the necessary url to their sites and all have demo versions for the download. Try them and decide which one you like the best (and is within your price range).

Hope this helps, but if not ask more questions.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

There we go. I have bob-cam I think. Thats what I needed. I'll research this tonight. Thanks. simple words was what I needed. But the pockets drill holes stuff throws me off for some reason. I'll figure it out now that I know what i need

Take it one step at a time. I am sure there are some tutorials or at least help files for that program if you have it.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Try various CAD/CAM combinations with demo mode. Some you will like. Some you find totally bizarre, and others need too many $$$s.
    Experiment/learn and ask more questions here.

Thanks everyone. I have a direction to follow now. I cant get to anything right now schedule is pretty tight. Friday I can though. Thanks. ill check back in.