586,051 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12
    Bob La Londe Guest

Must See Video

Need I say more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pii4G8FkCA4]OREO Separator Machine #1 - Creator: Physicist David Neevel - YouTube

Hi Bob,
    this OREO thing must be something very special and unknown at our geographical longitude and latitude
    Looking at the video I for some reason remembered the very complicated rigs and actuators used by Tom to set a mouse trap for Jerry

I once met a fellow from south of the 49th, whose main complaint about Canada was the total lack of double-stuffed Oreos up here. I wonder if a second re-stuffing stage could be added to this machine?

(We have since solved this problem at the retail level, but what fun is that?).
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Truly the highest and best use of advanced CNC technology.

Yikes! Just imagine if this CNC machine had existed during the Reign of Terror!

Perfect use for a Dremel. I see he has some work to do on the surface finish as shown at 3:25. That might be a feature however.

...There's something in the water in Portland... And you thought Portlandia was a fictional TV show??

What we have here is a physicist wasting his skills, and in classic physicist style making something way more complicated than it needs to be. .. never mind crude...I know, I helped 'em do it for 30 years.

I'll bet there's 1 dozen of you guys who have worked on production systems that can see 2 dozen ways of doing this faster, easier, more consistently, and... cheaper.

Nonetheless, the guy's having fun, and it's a fun video, I give him that.

Ok, ok. I'm starting to see the picture....
    TEAiM

I don't know how to feel about this video, I want to like it but... what a waste of good cream :violin:
    http://www.build.cl

Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    Perfect use for a Dremel. I see he has some work to do on the surface finish as shown at 3:25. That might be a feature however.
    I bet spraying a little WD40 would do wonders to improve the Oreo's surface finish

You must admire his determination, I would give up just after 1 glass of milk and box of Oreo's
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Oreo Separator

That was freaking AWESOME! Thanks for posting it.

I think if he could get the oreo halves closer together during the cream removal phase, he could speed up his creamless oreo production.

And BTW fizzissist, I don't agree that he is wasting his skills. On the contrary, I think he is keeping his mind busy doing something that we might think is foolish. However, the greatest ideas and inventions are often born when something as insignificant as separating oreo cookies becomes someone's obsession.

Bob La Londe Guest

Bob La Londe Guest
    Reposted the original video above since the original link was broken with the forum change. Here is a more even approach to the problem which does not alienate half the Oreo cookie fans.

OREO Separator Machine #2 ? Creators: Toy Scientists Bill and Barry - YouTube

Bob La Londe Guest

PaulRowntree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Reposted the original video above since the original link was broken with the forum change. Here is a more even approach to the problem which does not alienate half the Oreo cookie fans.
    More even handed, yes, but it seems that the cookie lover got the better end of this innovation.

PaulRowntree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    This one frightened me the most ... these guys seemed quite content to eat bits of Oreo's that had hit that table top, in what looks like a lab.

Dragonfly Guest
    It's all funny and shows a lot of creative thinking but for me as a foreigner who has never seen (not to speak about tasting) an OREO it's a great mystery why so many people want to separate the cookie from the cream.

In my case i see lots of people eating the cream and throwing the cookie. I live in a strange world......

I open the cookie and then eat both sides untouched (including the cream), now beat THAT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's all funny and shows a lot of creative thinking but for me as a foreigner who has never seen (not to speak about tasting) an OREO it's a great mystery why so many people want to separate the cookie from the cream.
    I can imagine the challenge of understand this - it is really a cultural thing. For some reason, there is a lot of desire to eat these cookies in various, individual ways. Even people who like the whole cookie, will often take them apart while eating them, enjoying the various parts one at a time, etc.

Some people like more cream (really more or an icing) that comes in the normal ones, so sometimes people will take them apart and use two cookies to make one with "double" cream. This is less common now since the Oreo company now offers this as a standard product.

Perhaps this is explained just as well with "why do people put up dominos in long rows and watch them all get knocked down" ? Just because they are there.

The part I really admire the physicist in the video for, is his spurring on the minds of teenagers to try do do something mechanical. My daughter's boy friend knows that I am trying to build a cnc router, and he asked he could help, and make it also modify Oreo cookies. Of course I said - absolutely.

Page 1 of 2 12