I've been trying to figure out how to get started in machining, CNC in particular. It's something that I would really like to learn and make a career out of for the rest of my work years, about 15 or so left. But this can always be done after retirement too I suppose.

I've done a conversion of a large mill from tape reader to PC based control system, replacing all of the electronics. The control was not sized correctly for the mill so the project was scrapped and the shop bought a new HAAS eventually.

I've built my own control from schematics and a little of my own "design" (a couple of them actually, one servo, one stepper) for my Taig desktop mill.

I've operated an Arboga 5 axis (only used 3) for a week of 12-16 hour days cutting some 13' x 4' x 1 1/2' molds for some sailplane wings out of Renshape. Loading part programs, starting and stopping the programs, and changing cutters. Manually controlled the 12" flycutter using the pendant. The mill is at Mississippi State University.

I've tried to learn some programming using Vector, but haven't gotten too far, not a really intuitive program and not many "tutorials" about. I've taken 10 evening classes for MasterCAM and running a manual lathe and mill in those same classes. We made a ballpeen hammer head and a lathe dog.

I would go to school at the local technical college, but I/we can't afford one of us to not be working and the program is fulltime days for a couple years. I applied for an entry leval CNC operator position at a local shop and had the position, but can't afford the $10/hr to start. I have a little experience, lots of mechanical aptitude, computer programming skills, CAD experience, and I'm willing and want to learn.

Regards,
Monte

Bellingham, WA