586,106 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Open source Linux CNC pendant

I have developed an open source pendant specifically for Linux CNC (also a mach3 version of it) that has been on Kickstarter about a month now.

To my knowledge it is the only Linux CNC specific pendant out there, and really makes running a program a joy...

If you have not picked one up yet, there are about 48 hours left on the Kickstarter! If you would like to order one you can get it here:

Jog It! Open source controller pendant for EMC2 and Mach3! by Jerome miles — Kickstarter

These will most likely not be up for sale again until next Feb or March, as I fulfill all the Kickstarter orders and then tool up for another batch. So if you would like one soonish the Kickstarter campaign is the best way to get it.

Thanks again for the support everyone, and now the next question. What open source hardware/electronic project would people like to see next?

-Jerome

Jerome,

Very cool project. No sure how sophisticated the pendant setup can get but a couple of items are invaluable on my current Logitech gamepad that I'd want in a pendant before I switch.

I have three jog speed ranges:
    - Rapid (Max 140 IPM)
    - Medium (Max 60 IPM)
    - Slow (Max 6 IPM)
    That helps immensely in getting around the table faster. I just hold one of three buttons to select the correct speed range and the joy-pad give proportional speed based on the amount of defelction. A button to hold that would cut the jog feed-rate by say 95% could work nicely to to let you creep up to edges but still move large distances quickly.

I have a 0.001" inc jog as well. So on the back end HAL runs a subroutine that goes and moves 0.001" in the selected direction. VERY useful in touching off. On yours a button to switch from INC to CONT would serve just as well. You'd also need some way adjust the increment that EMC is using for that too though.

I guess I didn't see this soon enough to get in on it though.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Linux CNC pendants now in stock!

moved to commercial

Just received my Jog It pendant yesterday. I am very happy with the quality and it works as advertised. If you are looking for a pendant that works with no fuss on Linux CNC buy a Jog It you won't be sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
    Just received my Jog It pendant yesterday. I am very happy with the quality and it works as advertised. If you are looking for a pendant that works with no fuss on Linux CNC buy a Jog It you won't be sorry
    Got any pictures? Where did you order it?

Are the schematics, source code etc.available yet?
    Regards
    Geoff

Linux CNC Pendant

I ordered mine from Kickstarter Jog it Open Source Pendant for EMC2. A fellow by the name of Jerome Miles designed the unit and produced a batch of them. If you type the above underlined you will be taken to the site. There are all kind of pictures and information. If you scroll to the bottom of the page there is a button if you want to ask questions.

As for source code I am not sure if it is available yet, I would suspect that if the question was asked Jerome would answer it.