586,103 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    vin_var Guest

G Weike MPC6515 Controller issue

Hi, I have been using a Weike machine for last few months. In this 8 months the MPC61515 has failed 3 times- the message I get is that the 'Communication timed out'. Melody from G Weike has been very prompt in sending advanace replacements and I usually gets the replacement in few days. Melody also have arranged for a tech to remote login and diagnose the problem. The issues seems to be from the USB interface and not really the CNC controller itself.

So far in 8 months, I have sent two of the MPC6515 back to China and third one has failed and need replacement. While I appreciate the quick turn G Weike with replacements, but the failures is annoying if not alarming- showing the reliability of MPC controller in the long run.

I am wondering if anyone in the forum has similar issues with MPC6515 and what have they done to solve it.

-vin

epilotdk Guest
    Have you tried changing the USB cable between the PC and laser? That was causing me grief on my first laser.

vin_var Guest
    I will try that, thank you for the update. I hope it is something simple as that.

It seems like a hard failure on the controller, since I have twice changed the controller after Weike diagnosis.

epilotdk Guest
    The first three lasers I imported from China all had comms problems from time to time. In all three cases a new USB cable solved the problem. Use as short a cable as practical and make sure your laser is properly grounded. Have you tried uploading the cut file from a USB stick? Does that work even when you cannot send the file from the PC?

vin_var Guest
    The file upload seemed to work and I could cut from the file that was already loaded on the machine.

You logic on short cable and grounding makes sense especially due to the high power LASER unit can cause discharges. I will try the changes and see if it improves the situation.

Thanks again.

epilotdk Guest
    Your laser should always be grounded properly. Run a wire to an earth spike. It could save your HV PSU from dying if the tube breaks.

vin_var Guest
    It is grounded with the earth spike and thick copper wire. The ground connection is from the ground post/nut outside the machine to the spike. Did you ground the laser with wire running from inside the machine?

Thanks, -vin

Hi, Vinn,

Is your card broken again? Please contact me for that later.
    Frankly speaking, the failing frequency is really unusual. In fact, 90% of the user's cards are OK for years. I guess that maybe has relationship with longtime using habbit. I am also wondering the reason now...

Melody

Update:

The problem was solved with following steps:

1. Changed the USB cable with a new one (~4ft).
    2. Downloaded the CONFIG file and the communication between LaserCut and MPC6515 came back to normal.

I noticed that the Ground Lug nut was loose- applied thread locker and tightened it. It is possible that the CONFIG file was corrupted and the USB cable was also causing data transfer issues. The exact reasons I may never know, but thought others could benefit from knowing how it was solved.

Thanks epilotdk for the suggestions- you were right-on.

Melody, thank you for the quick response. We can look it it tonight. Seems like the same error. I will try the short USB cable before your tech can login and take a look.

Thanks, -Vinn

Is it possible to use a thumb drive to d/l files to a 6515 in a Rabbit? I hate the thoughts of buying another computer just to keep the usb cable short.
    Thanks.
    Dennis