587,047 active members*
2,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Alchemist29 Guest

Scratch build First Machine

First off, I confess to be a complete and total noob when it comes to CNC machines.

That said, I do have experience in electronics and mechanical systems, so I'm starting this thread as a place to document my first CNC machine. This is going to be a small 3-axis machine to start with. Most likely MDF frame, skate bearings on supported gas pipe, etc. Eventually I may try to add additional axis to carve wax model rings for lost-wax casting. As this is my first build, it's more about learning and saying "I made that and it works" than about performance.

That said, this machine is going to be built completely from scratch, and on the cheap. There's going to be a lot of experimenting in this thread before real construction even starts.

A while back, I was wandering through an unclaimed freight shop and came across a box of what I thought were stepper motors. They turned out to be 3-phase hybrid steppers. Just playing around with them and figuring out how they work, I discovered that they have decent torque, even when powered by 2 AA batteries in series. I got about 30 of these motors for about $2.50 each. LOL

So there's one piece of the puzzle. I've had to do a lot of research to figure out exactly how to drive these things, but I now have a plan. I know there are ready-made 3-phase drivers available on E-Bay, but where's the fun in that?

It just so happens that I have a box of circuit boards from some battery backup units that no longer functioned correctly. Each circuit board has 12 IRF46ZN power MOSFETS. Assuming the MOSFETS are all good, I can make 2 motor drivers from each backup board.

Another piece of the puzzle.

I also happen to have a bunch of 90s2313 MCU chips laying around from another project. These chips run at up to 10Mhz and have everything I need to make a driver.

So that's where I'm starting. I'm going to build my power supply and stepper drivers from scratch and then we'll go from there. I'll keep things updated as I make progress.

ok I do not see any other place to post my question. however this thread seems relevant.

I am also building a router cnc from scratch and currently collecting materials to start my table top build.

My question is a motor question:

#1 the motors that I plan to drive my X/Y/Z Axis's come from electric scooters.

Manufactured by Unite Motor Co. model # MY6812B. This is a chain drive motor. 24VDC 100W four brush permanent magnet electric motor design with 100% ball bearing construction capable of 2500 RPM.

As you see in the photo they only have a Hot wire and an Earth, will these motors work with a cnc? and will I have a serious problem trying to connect them to a control board. I am new to CNC and doing this build to get a better idea and understanding what I need to learn. Also My build will be using lead screws with exception of the y axis which will be chain driven unless I can find a 2 meter lead screw that is stable enough to use.

I come across these motors frequently for free thus my interest.

Linear Rails & Stock Aluminium; I now have available to start my X & Y axis. If these motors are worth the trouble i can go ahead and start construction while ordering my controllers and breakout boards.

I plan to work mostly with hard wood table tops. perhaps some acrylics, MDF wood, and potentially/eventually some minor milling with aluminium and brass.

repetitive post.

Unfortunately, those motors are not suitable to CNC work. You need stepper motors. With those scooter motors, you apply power and they just run. There's no way to control their position. Stepper motors move a known distance for each "step" that their windings are pulsed, so you can send say 4 pulses and know an axis has moved 1/x of an inch, for instance. There's no way to get that sort of precision with a regular motor.

The proper forum to ask questions like this is at DIY CNC Router Table Machines and not in someone else's build log thread like this one.

In the DIY CNC Router Table Machines forum you can start your own thread to ask questions and get quicker responses. Look for a link in the upper left that says Post New Thread.

In the CNC Wood Router Project Log CNC Wood Router Project Log you can start your own build log to show what you are building and get help with it if needed.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com