586,341 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Retrofitting old Dahlgren CNC Engraving Machine - Need help. Pelase. !!!

Retrofitting old Dahlgren CNC Engraving Machine - Need help. Pelase. !!!

Hello

I purcahsed an old Dahlgren CNC Engraving machine from another member. I don't have the original controller. I want to convert it to CNC Router so I can machine aluminum with something like Mach 3. It seems to have a very nice ball screws for X and Y axis. Not too sure about the Z? axis. The table is very heavy maybe 100 lbs.

I would really appreciate some help!

1. Is this thing any good?

2. Can I re-use these old stepper motors or do I need new ones? If so which ones?

3. I bought an eBay 3-Axis stepper controller. I have read that I need an USB motion controller between the PC and the stepper controller to "smooth out" the cutting. Which USB motion controller should I get?

5. What elese do I need ?

Thank you,

Wahid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03007.JPG   DSC03010.JPG   DSC03011.JPG   DSC04143.JPG  

DSC04144.JPG   DSC02990.JPG   DSC02991.JPG   DSC02993.JPG  

DSC03006.JPG   DSC02997.JPG  

My Dahlgren also came with this CNC board.

From what I have read, is ther a little cheaper alternative to the SmoothStepper ?

Thank you,

Wahid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnca6.jpg   cnc1.jpg   cnc2.jpg   cnc3.jpg  

cnc4.jpg   cnc5.jpg   cnc12.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wahid View Post
    From what I have read, is ther a little cheaper alternative to the SmoothStepper ?
    One common method is to use the parallel port of a PC either by finding a PC with one or adding one with a PCI expansion card (google: parallel port PCI).

Edit: Which, I should note, is what the board you posted appears to use.

amishx64,

I have several PC's with parallel port so this is not a problem. I have read that these kind of borad will not give me smooth movement and thus smooth finish. In addition, it would be nice to use my laptop which has USB and Ethernet ports.

Do I really need a separate motion controller if I have a good PC ?

Is there a motion controller with USB/Ethernet that can interface with this board ?

Is there a motion controller with all-in-one solution with built-in stepper drive ?

I found this eBay. Is this all-in-one ?

Thanks for your help !

Features and specifications:

works on MacOS X (Snow Leopard 10.6.3) with virtual machine emulating Windows XP SP3
    USB (V2.x) from PC/Laptop running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 (32 bit or 64bit)
    motor driver connector pin-out is compatible with 10 pin open source interface (Linistepper, PICStep)
    controller works with most step/dir stepper and servo motor drivers available on the market
    buffered IO for maximum performance
    advanced interpolation algorithms
    start, stop, pause and resume execution of program on your machine
    standard RS274/NGC G-code (EMC2 compatible)
    advanced G-codes - G40, G41, G42 (Cutter Radius Compensation) supported
    advanced G-codes - G43, G49 (Tool Length Offsets) supported
    advanced G-codes - G54, G59.3 (Coordinate System Origins) supported
    tested with SolidCAM, MasterCAM, ArtCAM, Vectric, CamBam, MeshCAM ... generated G-code
    Profili 4-axes and 3-axes G-code supported
    import toolpath from DXF files
    import toolpath from PLT/HPGL files
    import toolpath from image files
    import toolpath from NC-Drill (Excellon) files
    import toolpath from Gerber (RS-274X) files
    toolpath simulation
    automatic homing procedure
    advanced toolchange procedures
    automatic tool length measuring
    export toolpath to G-code
    export toolpath to DXF
    SDK (software developers kit) is available

4 axes USB CNC controller:

25 kHz maximum step frequency
    3 digital outputs (flood, mist, spindle)
    12 us minimum pulse width
    manual jog inputs for all axes
    limit inputs for all axes
    control external devices with I2C protocol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T2S7KEXnxXXXXXXXXX_!!20779920.jpg  

Do I really need a separate motion controller if I have a good PC ?
    I would say, judging by others' machines that the answer to that is no. There seem to be quite a few people using PCs with PP ports with good results, but it isn't always a straightforward path. I have also heard of problems with SmoothStepper as well as good results, so I can't tell you definitively which is better. I am personally planning on using a PP port with my machine, but If I run into issues, I will find another solution. It looks like the PP is going to work for me though, and I get good MACH3 driver test results, and high kernel speeds with few problems.

Is there a motion controller with all-in-one solution with built-in stepper drive ?
    Not that I know of, but there very well may be. Someone else please chime in on this... I think that you mean a 'turn-key' electronics solution - something you could search the forum for.

I found this eBay. Is this all-in-one ?
    It looks like it is, but it still won't replace your PC. You also need to consider what drivers to control with the board, the steppers/servos, estop, limit switches, charge pump, and all the associated wiring.
    In my experience, buyers never a good warranty/support when buying Chinese products from eBay, and ESPECIALLY Chinese electronics. (That is not to say there aren't good companies out there.) Chinese CNC equipment + eBay generally gets a bad rap here on the Zone and I would tend to agree with the consensus, having bought cheap electronics myself. The ability to get support through the manufacturer or community should be a consideration especially for people new to CNC because most will likely need it at one point or another.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't give specific "A is better than B" type answers, but there are a lot of variables to nail down.

Well, since I ready have this board, I might as well use it and give it a shot and see what happends with parallel port.

I also have a good laptop. Do you know if any of those USB to Parallel converter works with these boards?

Thanks

Wahid

Do you know if any of those USB to Parallel converter works with these boards?
    I do know that people have tried, but unsuccessfully. I haven't seen anyone successfully using one for CNC purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by amishx64 View Post
    I would say, judging by others' machines that the answer to that is no. There seem to be quite a few people using PCs with PP ports with good results, but it isn't always a straightforward path. I have also heard of problems with SmoothStepper as well as good results, so I can't tell you definitively which is better. I am personally planning on using a PP port with my machine, but If I run into issues, I will find another solution. It looks like the PP is going to work for me though, and I get good MACH3 driver test results, and high kernel speeds with few problems.
    The parallel-port setup seems to be the default mainstream solution for DIY machines. I went with the Smoothstepper for two main reasons:
    (1) The parallel port driver that works with Mach3 is 32-bit only, at least at the present time. (I'm under the impression that there is zero effort being made toward a 64-bit version, but I may be wrong.)
    (2) Parallel ports are becoming ever rarer as standard equipment. While there are add-on PP boards available, they also are becoming rare, with additional compatability issues with modern motherboards and OSs (see #1).
    Clearly, if budget is the only consideration, an older 'Craigslist' PC and a moderate amount of hacking will get you started, but at $150-$200, the Smoothstepper is dirt cheap compared to the potential time wasted flailing around getting a semi-obsolete computer/OS to work and maintaining it going forward.

Will my board work with Smooth Stepper?

Is Smooth Stepper the only game in town for this type of board?

Thanks

at
    Will my board work with Smooth Stepper?

Is Smooth Stepper the only game in town for this type of board?

Thanks
    From the CNC end, the SmoothStepper looks just like a parallel port, so you shouldn't have any problems. (Well, no additional problems anyway: I'm under the impression you're short a good bit of the docs for your existing hardware.)

There is also the one from PlanetCNC...its main difference is that it uses its own controller software rather than plugging into Mach3. I expect others will join the party as time goes on.

Lee DeRaud, what do you think about the Steppers on this machine?

Wahid

Lee DeRaud, what do you think about the Steppers on this machine?
    Well, they're certainly round...

I'm not a stepper-motor expert and you probably already know more about them than I do.

These 30 years old motors are rated at 3.4VDC & 2.9A and they are 6 wire.

Wondering if they if they are NEMA 23 ?

Wahid

Wondering if they if they are NEMA 23 ?
    Measure the mounting holes: for NEMA23, they should be 4mm holes on 47mm centers.
    (AFAIK, "NEMA23" is strictly a mechanical standard and says nothing about the electrical or performance aspects of the motor.)

I just measured the motors and the spacing is 47mm between hole centers.

Wahid