587,047 active members*
2,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thinning acrylic solvent?

Hey, I have some Weld On 16 here, which is the thicker variant. I was wondering, could you actually dilute it with acetone to obtain a thinner glue?

Dan
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

The pds for Weld On 16 says it can be thinned with Weld On 3 by 10%.

No, I dunno where to get Weld On 3 from either.....

Could you just try the acetone and see what happens?

Did actually try it, poured out a bit of acetone and dropped in a bit of the #16. Appears to actually work, and does have the capillary action provided you don't add too much. It does take a bit of stirring/shaking to get it to mix, but it does seem to eventually.

So far the bonds seem pretty strong, but I'll leave it a while to see how it goes.

This place here seems to have it: IPS WELD ON 3 Acrylic Adhesive 473ML tin.

Hmm, it does appear it may be causing a bit of stress cracking - not sure if that's from the acetone or what.

Well, THAT is embarrasing......

I have been to Global Acrylics a few times. It is a one-guy operation, with limited stocks of acrylic, and just down the road from me.

I am a dumbarse.

I usually buy my acrylic and Weld On 16 from BFS Plastics, which is also just down the road from me and is run by a nice couple of older guys who cut the acrylic to size for me for free.

Yeah, there's a local place here I went down to about a week ago, they were nice enough to let me scrounge through their offcuts, pick a few bits, and they cut them small enough to fit in the laser cutter. Asked them about glue and they said they technically aren't allowed to sell it - something about people sniffing it (Of course).

But yeah, just made a clear box to see if I could get it waterproof, and seems to have worked with the dissolved solvent, no leaks as of yet, just a bit of minor stress cracking.

Definitely need to work on my application technique though, manage to spread the stuff all over the place. Need a little squeeze bottle instead of a syringe, would probably make it easier.