586,032 active members*
2,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCam V3 orient STL stockl to part

BobCam V3 orient STL stockl to part

Hey Guys, I've tried everything I can think of even reading the help files as a last resort and I still cannot figure out the process of orienting this custom stock to my part in BobCam for SWs. Any help is appreciated. The file is to large to attach even after I zipped it.

Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest C View Post
    Hey Guys, I've tried everything I can think of even reading the help files as a last resort and I still cannot figure out the process of orienting this custom stock to my part in BobCam for SWs. Any help is appreciated. The file is to large to attach even after I zipped it.

Forrest
    I could be wrong as I am not totally familiar with SW version, but in the normal standalone BobCad i would answer this:

Because an STL cannot be directly interacted with, as in, it's points/vertices and such, I would reverse what you are trying to do. Create the stock from the custom stl, then orient the part to that. You can use UCS' to manage the orientation against the stock definition.

So it turns out that even thought the help files say to save the shaped stock as an STL. Al has informed me that the best method is to create the stock as a solid body over the existing part without merging results. This method works well and when using the roughing pass it only sees the shaped stock. Because of the overall size of this part it saves me an hour on the roughing pass alone. Thanks for everyones help, Forrest