586,740 active members*
2,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > 5v stepper driver or controll board anyone?

5v stepper driver or controll board anyone?

Im building something really small that involves some 5v steppers and i cant seam to find some drivers or a controll board that can run these steppers using mach 3.

Anyone have any idea on where to find something like this?

How much current does each motor draw? How many wires does each motor have?

With a typical current-limited driver, you can drive a stepper motor rated at 5 volts with a higher voltage.

Or (especially if you can use a unipolar hookup) there are many simple circuits that can drive such a motor with 5 volts.

Well the motors i have are like the ones from a DVD-rom, only thing i know is that they are rated at 5v and anything more then that the heat up really fast.
    Also they are bi-polar(4 wires).

Thx for your help.

If you run the motor at a higher voltage than its rated voltage, you will need to limit the current, otherwise the motor will get too hot.

A simple but not very effective way to do that would be to use series resistors inline with each winding. A better way to do that would be to use a current-limiting driver such as the EasyDriver:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10267

Well can you connect that driver to a interface board like one of those china cheap ones(like this)? and this is also rated at 7v min and 150mA a phase and im not sure if that is to much for my little motor.

I do not have direct experience with that breakout board, and I do not see a schematic for the board, however it appears likely to me that the breakout board would be suitable.

I also have no experience using a motor from a DVD ROM. Can you identify the part number of the circuit that was originally used to drive the motor when it was in service inside the DVD ROM?

If you apply 5 volts to one of the motor windings, how much current does it draw?