586,192 active members*
3,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Having trouble getting started.

I get my Taig CNC Mill the same day I get a real bad cold. Bad timing Not sure if that's the reason my stuffed up head can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's an email conversation with Taigtools. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Taigtools:
    Did you install all of the setup files exactly as described on page 9 in the manual. If so then and it still is not communicating then what is your computer and operating system? Did it already have a printer port or was it installed as an addon card? If so then most likely the Port # 1 address in the Config. - Ports and Pins section must be set to the printer card address. If it still does not work then give me a phone number to reach you at and we will go through the Mach 3 settings to make sure it is configured correctly.

Me:
    Yes I did install all those files. I'm running Windows 7. The system
    already has a printer port. I checked the device manager/printer port
    (LPT1) properties/resources which displays I/0 Range 0378 - 037F.
    Under Mach 3 Ports & Pins I have Port #1 enabled with 0x378 as the
    port address. I've checked all the Mach 3 settings and they are the same as
    the printed screen grabs in the back pages of the Taig manual.

If I turn on the machine and then reboot my computer, the machine
    shuts down and restarts while my operating system is loading. I'm not
    a computer wiz, but I think this shows there's some communication
    happening.

Is Win 7 64 or 32 bit? Mach 3 will not work with a parallel port for 64bit.

Just a thought.

Yes, it's 64 bit. Just got an email reply from taigtools stating the same thing. Looks like I'm spending some more money. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyd View Post
    Yes, it's 64 bit. Just got an email reply from taigtools stating the same thing. Looks like I'm spending some more money. Thanks for the reply.
    For some odd reason, the Goodwill/Salvation Army type places around me seem flush with older Dell PC's that are PERFECT candidates for CNC controls-- it shouldnt cost much to pick up something along these lines, and its certainly preferable to have a PC that is simply dedicated to no other tasks except running g-code. Keep the other PC as-is for everything involved with generating the g-code.

You're very welcome, glad to be of help-

Just a thought, but I purchased an old Dell OptiPlex GX260 PC Mini Desktop P4 2.0 Ghz 1 Gb Ram 8, Win 7 & Samsung SyncMaster 710T 17" Flat Screen LCD off of e-Bay for about $60 to run Mach3. Works like a charm and is disposable. My desktop for the CAD & CAM is a different story.
    AQUIA ARTFORMS

Just bought a used Win XP computer and now can't reset in Mach 3. "Your Reset command is failing due to an external influence ....." Does this even without the Taig connected.

Just bought a used Win XP computer and now can't reset in Mach 3. "Your Reset command is failing due to an external influence ....." Does this even without the Taig connected.
    I'm not a Mach expert but it may be a control interface issue. Did you install the "lock down" version? For some odd reason I had to un-install and re-install a few times when I first set mine up.
    AQUIA ARTFORMS

Yes I did download the lockdown. Downloading the development version right now. Thanks for the tip.

Same thing. Correction though, I can get it to reset if I disconnect the Taig.

Sounds like a home/limit or an e-stop has been triggered, or the charge pump is setup but not connected?

Hi, I saw this on the Yahoo Mach 3 group and it may help you as well as he received the same message as you:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1m.../message/73791

Hi Art,
    Thank you very much for your answer.
    I did what you suggested, restored de Windows OS just in case and then
    reloaded Mach, but the problem persisted, so I went over checking all the
    settings again and I found something I had done wich might be a bit silly.
    As I told you the limits and Estop switches were all wired in series and
    going to the same pin number (10), but, I also enabled Estop on the same
    pin, and I think that was the cause of the trouble, as soon as I disabled
    it, the homing routine was working again, and the Estop is also working.
    I thought it was worth to put it here, just in case somebody else runs into
    the same trouble.
    Regards.
    Manuel

No charge pump and it isn't activated. For 5 days now I've yet to see one single movement from this machine besides the motor. Getting very frustrated. Anyone willing to try to take a look through Team Viewer? Fix it and I'm willing to pay, for either something is wrong with the machine or I'm in way over my head and should just stick to my 3d printer.

Finally got it to reset, loaded a gcode, hit Cycle Start, nothing. The machine is basically shut down, nothing running.

Ok, lets slow down a bit. A few questions for you:

- what exact controller do you have, and did you get an Owners manual with it?

- do you have homing or limit switches installed?

- Did you put your xml file that you received from Taig into the Mach 3 folder on your PC?

Just the controller that came with the machine. No third party name on the box. No limit switches installed. Yes, the xml file is in the mach 3 directory on the pc. I notice that on the configuration screen that M1++Lim and m4++Lim are turning off and on randomly.

Just the controller that came with the machine. No third party name on the box. No limit switches installed. Yes, the xml file is in the mach 3 directory on the pc. I notice that on the configuration screen that M1++Lim and m4++Lim are turning off and on randomly.
    Ok I guess I won't be much help here as I have no idea what controller you have (you didn't say) or what M1 and M4 is as I haven't seen those before.

Sorry.

Not too sure where to find out what the controller is. Thanks for trying.

Not sure I understand, when you bought it from Taig, you had to specify which product you wanted to buy, correct?

Can you point it out on their website?

Page 1 of 2 12