586,114 active members*
3,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Tutorials > Decorative Wood Carving using BobArt

Decorative Wood Carving using BobArt

I made some videos that go through the process of designing and executing a fairly simple carved element. I went slowly, and tried to cover things in a lot of detail, so the videos are fairly long. There are 3 of them right now, and tomorrow, I'll cut the part, and post a 4th video with some scenes of the router working on it, and a few final comments.

Here's a picture of the first test cut that lead to this project, and the somewhat more elaborate final part, cut from the files I generated in the tutorial videos. I figured since it's St. Patrick's Day..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	180057

Name:	IMG_2366.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	180118

Here is the first video. I guess it's a spam fighting measure, but only one video per forum post is allowed. You should be able to get to the others pretty easily by clicking on my name in the YouTube page

Here are the cleaned up .dxf files I used in the project. I've found that the crosses, just by themselves, are very popular.

Border and Cross.zip

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Nice work, these videos were well done, very informative. Also I can't believe you are willing to give your DXF files away, that is real generous. thanks.
    V25.0 3 axis pro, standard sim, Bobart standard

Glad you liked them

Luke

Got no sound on video. Is it my end or yours.

There's sound, but unfortunately it's a bit low. I need to get a different mic pre-amp, I think. Right now, you'll need to have it turned up pretty much to max to hear it. I'll have it fixed for the next ones I do though. Sorry.

Luke

Luke;
    Thanks tons for posting. I downloaded your file and when I vectorize, I get double vectorized lines (bitmap is black, vectors are blue in attached image). Tried tinkering with the vectorizing settings, and tried starting with thicker and thinner lines on import images, but always the same double geometry. Any guidance?

I can delete the second set, but that is a real pain. Again, any guidance is appreciated.

Name:	Raster_to_Vector.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	187190

Build 996.

The file I posted, "Border and Cross.zip" is a .dxf file. It's already been vectorized. Did you convert it to a raster and then try to re-vectorize? That's the only thing I can think of that'd give the results you show there. The file is ready to use in the project, with the vectorization process already finished.

Here's the original .jpg file, so you can explore the vectorization features. I probably should have included it in the original post. This one will give you the exact results you see in the video, and need the same cleanup steps.

Luke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oval Border Plaited.jpg