587,003 active members*
2,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Sherline / spectralight rebuild
Page 2 of 3 123
    Glad to see you working on this! I am using my machine. Still not happy with the speeds, but I deal with it for now. I still have problems once in awhile with one axis or another stalling. Sucks, but I've not ruined a part yet. Usually, it ends up with the EM cutting air. I would like to figure it out, but I don't know how much money I want to sink into this machine. I'm contemplating converting the big mill to CNC or 1/2CNC, and comparing the cost of upgrading that mill or making this one more usable. Doesn't look like ball screws can be added to the Sherline/Spectralight without some major work. Haven't seen any retrofits online, either. A new saddle is the biggest hurdle. Don't want to shell out more for the saddle from A2Z than I paid for the machine to begin with. In fact, that's one thing that amuses me about these little machines. Don't get me wrong; to each his own, but I see so many people who bought the machine, and then spent more than that upgrading it to a Monster Mill one piece at a time! I am considering designing a new X/Y, though around linear rails/bearings and ballscrews. We'll see how that looks.

According to the Spectralight slick, X is 8.5", Y is 4.5", and Z is 5.5".

Dave

Yea its not a very big envelope to work with but it will do. If u are having stalling issues I would look into higher torque motors. That's not too pricy of an upgrade and if you decide later to build a different setup you can use the bigger motors on that.

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

I'm thinking if I upgrade the motors, I'm upgrading the drive and screws, too. Then, of course, it gets to a point where it's better to consider building the whole thing. I wish the line in the sand would stay put!

Dave

If you are using Mach, turn off your toolpath display. This could be the reason your experiencing stalling.

Ok got some money from my grad and I need to get this machine up and running.. I'm looking at either probotix drivers and staying @ 24v or getting a g540. I'm not sure if I would need another power supply if I go with the g540 though.
    Lmk what you guys think..

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

To take full advantage of the G540 a 48v PS would be required. However a G540 will operate on less a minimum of 15v IIRC. Go for the 48v, there will be a difference.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Can my stock spectralight motors handle that voltage though?

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

I don't think the voltage is the concern. It's the current. I can't remember what I measured for the supply voltage on my spectralight controller. I'll pull the cover off if I get time tomorrow and have a look. BTW, I fixed the stalling issue by changing lube for the ways and screws. I don't remember where I got what I started with, or what it even was, but it was pretty sticky after sitting for a couple of days. I also set the max feed to 15 ipm. I haven't had any problems since then. I have decided that I don't like the 3 hours it took to cut one part the other night, so I'm starting a build of a slightly more rigid machine. Hoping it works out better. Part of the reason for it was that the Sherline/Spectralight has those 20 tpi screws and to upgrade them is going to cost a fortune. For some of the plastic stuff I'm doing now, the faster feeds of 5mm pitch ballscrews is awfully appealing!

Dave

edit: If you find out how much current these motors are rated for, please post it. I've not found any info on them, other than the Spectralight sales slick which says they are 100 oz-in.

They will work fine. Not as well as a modern stepper but it will maximize what you have.

Looks like I may just be getting one of the pnp kits from cncrouterparts complete with 3 or 4 motors, cables, driver, and power supply.
    http://www.cncrouterparts.com/3-axis...-kit-p-74.html

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Does anyone have the amperage specs on the stock spectralight motors? Can't seem to find it anywhere..

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Just ordered a g540, 3 320oz/in nema23 motors, a 48v 7.3a PSU, and new cables and couplers!

Kevin
    NSR Customs

Sounds fun!

Yea now with that system and the other bits and pieces I have I should be able to get the coolant system wired in as well as home & limit switches and spindle control with rpm feedback. Also gonna add start/run, feed hold, coolant, and light buttons on a control panel mounted on the enclosure.

Kevin.
    Nsr customs.

Got parts in on Tuesday. Gonna get everything set up this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1374855875444.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	193514
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1374855971696.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	193516

Kevin
    NSR Customs

Everything is hooked up. I need to figure out why my z limit/ home and my e-stop are switched but no big deal.. then just calibrate steps per. And spindle config and I'm running!

Kevin
    NSR Customs

Switched as in "active" state? Or pin assignment?

I probably just switched 2 wires when hooking everything up.

Kevin
    NSR Customs

Fixed the limit/ e-stop issue.. but I still can't get spindle controls...

Kevin
    NSR Customs

Are you using the original spindle speed controller? Are you trying to have rpm control or simply a means to turn the spindle on or off?

Page 2 of 3 123