586,108 active members*
3,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Not so sure about a possible purchase

Not so sure about a possible purchase

Over the last 15 years, that I have been in business, Ive purchased 3 haas lathes, and 3 haas mills. Besides being comfortable with the control, and knowing these machines inside and out, I know they lack in the rigidity department. Its time for another lathe. This time, I want to load it up with possible live tooling and a bar feeder. I scheduled a demo at our local hfo last week. ( a week in advance ). They have an st20y on the floor. First, I was impressed with the size of the turrett, it just looks so much more stought than my sl20's. It really is a good looking machine, and appears to be built stronger than my sl's. I noticed the coolant tank had 2 pumps. One being the standard 3/4hp and the other their 6200 dollar optioned 300 psi. Really??? 6200 bucks for THAT pump?? Moving along. I was expecting a demo. The salesman, his manager, and one of their applications guys were present. After talking for an hour, I asked, can I see a the demo. They did have som very cool looking parts sitting at the machine that required several live tools, that were clearly loaded in the machine. They told me, the machine isnt set up right now. Hmmm, im thinking to myself, but thats why Im here. So, the applications guy, says he will put something together quickly. 30 minutes later, I litterally watch the machine take 3 2inch long rounging passes on a piece of mild steel. .1 doc and .01 fpr ??????? No live tools, no hogging, no tailstock, no drilling, no boring, not even an index of the turret. I asked them, can you at least drill a hole with the 1" iscar indexable drill that was loaded in the machine. Ok, the drill comes in at 1000rpm and .006 per rev, and the machine cant handle it. He tries again, and it cant do it. He tells me the tool is not centered, and it wont drill off center. So Im thinking, you have the tool presetter, touch the stinking thing off, and lets drill this hole. Nope, he says he needs to re-indicate it???????????????????????? What the hell. Im looking to spend 140k on this machine. Drive 3.5 hours round trip to see it run, and this is what I get. No appologies, nothing. I will not be buying another haas machine. My sl's both 10 and 20's, are not the most rigid of machines, but they work for and make me money. Ive run that same 1 inch drill in both sl machines. Sure, slower than others im certain, but it would at least do the job accurately.

Am I missing something here?? Are these things pretty looking piles of pooo??? I know its not a mori, but it does need to make me money. Going to call the areas Doosan dealer tomorrow.

Gary

Haas Factory Support

I will look into this and get back to you.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Haas Factory Support

I need more info to contact your local HFO. Please email me your serial number and contact info. [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

What will you be looking into?? Is it why I didnt get the demo as scheduled, or why the machine couldnt drill with a 1" insert drill, or why the tech couldnt touch it off using the presetter. ?? I dont think there are any answers that would be OK to those questions. I dont have a serial number, it was a demo on their floor.

Haas Factory Support

I would like to look into everything. Your HFO has video that I made that shows an ST-20 drilling with a 1.75" Drill in 4140. I would like to know what has transpired here and I would like to address it for everyone's sake, not just your own.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

My apologies for coming off a bit harsh. I do appreciate your wanting to help.

Geez, for that kind of money, id bet you could get a Mori with live tools.