587,030 active members*
4,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rfq Quadcopter

I have sent this job out to about 11 Water jet places now asking for a quote with no responses. This is my first time doing anything like this so I assume I have something terribly wrong. Could someone please tell me what it is?
    Attached Files Attached Files

You dont specify the material or tolerances. Would be beneficial to have include an IGES file of the solid model IMO.

Would be good to also specify if the drawings are first angle projection or third angle projection.

I did specify materials, it is in the readme.

I did not specify tolerances, noted, thanks.

I have no idea what first and third projection are. After google'ing them now, I still have no idea how they apply to a 2D water jet project.

I have no way to export an IGES solid model. I did offer up STEP files initially but I got crossed eyed stares from the people I talked to, so I went with autocad 2000 DXF. Was that not the right choice for water jet?

.dxf for any water-jet shop should be just fine. and, you should really state material on the print. I personally loath zipped files.

I would get sample cuts before ordering parts. Waterjets can do unpredictable things with laminated materials.

again, he stated that in the "read me". Which could suggest that maybe you (OP) should rename the readme.

I manufacture my own multi-rotors- www.skyvueap.com and water jet cutting only works if you get it done by certain machines that wont blow out the bottoms. Router cutting it what i use and works the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin View Post
    I manufacture my own multi-rotors- www.skyvueap.com and water jet cutting only works if you get it done by certain machines that wont blow out the bottoms. Router cutting it what i use and works the best.
    Thanks. I was steered to water jet by a machine shop owner, but I am starting to understand it may not be the best.

I can understand using a router for the 1/16 chassis, but how about the 1/4" arms? My experience (and the shop owner) cautioned about cutting that much fiber with bits. It wears them out pretty quickly. So what is the best approach on 1/4" G-10, and does it make a difference if it is 2X laminate or single sheet? From a durability standpoint I believe 2X laminate has proven to be better in this application.

You would likely need to use diamond bits to keep from destroying your tooling too fast.

Wade

I use a special 1/8" router bit that is used for fiberglass cutting- it's carbide.