586,047 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Using Stock Model/Air cutting

Using Stock Model/Air cutting

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of the experts here can shed some light on the following: Is it possible to use a stock model, which is imported into Mastercam as an STL, in order to have mastercam take it into consideration when creating tool paths???

Let me explain further: Yes, we can import a model as an STL so that we can see it, and also see how the tool paths will cut it in the simulation, but does mastercam TAKE THIS MODEL INTO CONSIDERATION when creating the tool paths??? Reason why I say this, is that no matter what tool path I try, Mastercam will always make its own decision as to where the stock is, and then create toolpaths that have a lot of air cutting...ignoring the stock model that was imported.....in other words, it uses a stock model for verification, but not when it creates the tool paths, so that it can create them more efficiently, (if material is not there.....). Is there a way to do this ( I would think that Mastercam is not that dumb....) but I am loosing hope....

Can someone shed some light on this? Hopefully I have asked the question correctly....
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

Well for starters are we talking the 2pths or 3d paths as in some cases yes mastercam can. I guess I am looking for some kind of example of what you do were you get so much Air time. I know most of my programs do not have this issue using MC to program. my customers do not like air time. lets talk some more.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thank you for your reply....

-We are talking 3D toolpaths....and more specifically surfacing...like for example flowline, or for that matter many of the HS toolpaths....none of them seem to take the stock model imported into consideration when calculating....why is that? I think my question is pretty straight forward: When importing a model into the program that will be used for the stock as an .stl, does mastercam use it to calculate more efficient toolpaths? Other programs (like for example solidcam) do that with no issues.....

this is what I have been struggling with, and I would appreciate any guidance on this....

thank you again.....
    ------------------

I think what you are looking for is stock recantion in Mill. this is not the case. I am figuring you are talking about starting of with an irregular shape like a casting correct
    Or with block stock.?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Nothing really irregular....

Really simple terminology......I have a part....and I have a stock model that is SLIGHTLY larger than the part.....and close follows it's shape..import both into mastercam...create tool paths....

Mastercam seems very dumb, as it will NOT take into consideration the stock model imported, and will create toolpaths according to what it THINKS the stock model should be....

Is this really the case?

thanks!

I guess a pic is worth 1000 words...notice the first pic with the model and the stock, and the second with a toolpath created..mastercam totally does not take into consideration the imported stock model.....really???

------------------

Can you share me this example file. as I stated it dose not do stock recognition but there are other options like rest mill are yo trying to rough or finish.
    PS this is a irregular shape.
    Cadcam

It looks like you are using a roughing toolpath. You shouldn't. Create a finish toolpath and if you want to leave stock for final machining do so in the parameters. I have no problems at all getting Mastercam to do what I want. It sometimes takes a little ingenuity. But air cutting is not tolerated in my programs.

My guess is the wrong tool paths.
    If you use tool path stock model and input your stl.
    Now use rest rough, rest finish. Think there are more alike. And in the parameters you can tell it what to work from. This can be previous tool paths or your stock model. Should help.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2