586,096 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Koyo Grinders - Fanuc Memory Backup
Page 1 of 3 123

Angry Koyo Grinders - Fanuc Memory Backup

I have been working on backing up all of our Fanuc controls and storing the data on our Network (CNC Parameters, PMC Parameters, Macro Variables, Tool Comp, Part Programs, Pitch Error, and the Ladder). So far everything has been pretty straight forward with the various controls that we have. I am down to the last 4 Koyo’s that are giving us some trouble. Unlike the rest of the Fanuc controls that we have, our Koyo’s do NOT have a “Mode Selector” switch to change between MDI & Edit mode. In order to perform the backup procedures I need to get into “Edit” mode so I can punch out all the data through RS232. I guess the Koyo's are always in MDI mode? Does anyone know anything about Koyo’s or have any ideas on how to get into edit mode or punch out this data? We have tried everything we can think of and looked all over for a switch to get into "edit" mode. When I tried to punch out the data (like I normally would on a Fanuc control) it blinks saying “Wrong Mode".

If it helps, one the Koyo's is a KVD-450W with a Fanuc Powermate D control. Servos: A06B-6089-H104, A06B-6089-H201, A06B-6089-H201. Drives: A02B-0166-B501, A02B-0166-B501, A02B-0166-B501.

Try pushing e stop

You need to check in the ladder. You will be looking for MD1 MD2 and MD4. (G43.0, G43.1, & G43.2) This will tell you what is needed to change modes. To get EDIT mode you need MD1 & MD2 on and MD4 off

should have a mode switch if Fanuc so it sounds like it's not Fanuc? post a pic of your controller.

I attached a few pictures. Seeing how all 4 of our Koyo's do not have a "mode selector" switch to change between MDI and Edit, i'm assuming this is a Koyo issues (not a Fanuc issue). I have tried Koyo and have not had any luck yet. I'm guessing it just something stupid that I am missing that they do on all their machines. I was just hoping I could find someone who has a Koyo and has performed backups.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    You need to check in the ladder. You will be looking for MD1 MD2 and MD4. (G43.0, G43.1, & G43.2) This will tell you what is needed to change modes. To get EDIT mode you need MD1 & MD2 on and MD4 off
    Im not too familiar with the ladder but I will take a look and see what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by james.e.raymond View Post
    Im not too familiar with the ladder but I will take a look and see what I find.
    I was able to find the ladder: I also attached a scanned copy.

09 (00145) |---[R858.0]---------------------------(MD1 G43.0)---------| MODE SELECT 1

10 (00146) |---[R858.1]---------------------------(MD2 G43.1)---------| MODE SELECT 2

11 (00147) |---[R858.2]---------------------------(MD4 G43.2)---------| MODE SELECT 4

What do you suggest I do now? I understand you are saying that MD1 & MD2 must be on and MD4 must be off but what is the easiest way to do this?

ok, the real deal to backing up some of these koyo boyos is you need a from pcmcia card. do not , and i really mean it, use a flash ata card on these , it will fit, but damage the control.
    you need an old type of from. to do this. i have done it before. so i need to dig out the info.

PMD Edit Mode

The ladder kind of help. You need to go to the software operator panel. It is under Offset/Settings Press the > key under the CRT till you find it. If not there then change parameter 7200.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by jdeere4250 View Post
    ok, the real deal to backing up some of these koyo boyos is you need a from pcmcia card. do not , and i really mean it, use a flash ata card on these , it will fit, but damage the control.
    you need an old type of from. to do this. i have done it before. so i need to dig out the info.
    The Powermate D controls that we have on our Koyos do NOT have a PCMCIA slot. They data will need to be backed up through the RS232 serial port. I have no issue with the RS232 settings and procedure. The problem is that the backup procedure (from the Fanuc manual) that I would typically do on any Fanuc control requires the control to be in "Edit" mode. The control seems to always be in MDI mode which wont allow the output of the backup files. Normally (on any other Fanuc control) I would turn a "mode selector" switch to go from MDI to "Edit". It seems like Koyo does something different and I cant figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    The ladder kind of help. You need to go to the software operator panel. It is under Offset/Settings Press the > key under the CRT till you find it. If not there then change parameter 7200.
    Hope this helps
    I am not quite sure I understand this? Are you talking about turning "peewee" on? I am not trying to edit any parameters. I am trying to get into EDIT mode instead of MDI mode.

I attached a few picture of typical "Mode Selector" switches that I see on our other Fanuc Control's. The Koyo's do not have any buttons or switches (that we can find) to change between MDI and EDIT mode. The control is always in MDI mode. A typical Fanuc control needs to be in EDIT mode in order to punch out the backup files. Maybe Koyo has a different method of changing modes or maybe they have a different method of outputting backup files?

do you have a softkey named 'BGEDT' ?
    if yes press that and you are in background edit mode. all edit operations including punch/read are allowed in this mode.

btw you can attach plain jpgs etc here. no need to put them inside a pdf.

I agree with the above post that the edit mode you need should be accessible from the softkey menu somewhere. you need to go through every menu item and press > to access all items in each menu. there should be something somewhere to get to an edit mode.
    it should be the same mode you are in when editing a program. you can edit a program in the control, right?

Power mate D/E are not a standard Fanuc controller in what most are used to seeing. I have a back up procedure somewhere for a Power Mate as a cell system controller, but I do remember them going to edit mode in emergency stop.

First off, for some reason I cannot upload any picture to this forum no matter what size it is (it keeps telling me wrong format). I have tried every format that Microsoft paint has. haha So until that works i'll just keep uploading them as PDF's.

But anyways, I was able to get into EDIT mode this morning by pressing the Offset/Setting button and then scrolling right [>] until I saw "OPR." From here I was able to select EDIT mode. I knew it would be something really easy and stupid. I checked my other 3 Koyo's and they were similar. Thanks for the help!

In the KVD-450W (I have not tried the other Koyo's yet), once in EDIT mode I tried to Punch out the data through the RS232 port as I usually would do. I started with the Parameters, I pressed "Punch" and the second I hit "Exec" (Execute) I got an "086 DR SIGNAL OFF"Alarm. The Fanuc manual gives the following Alarm description: "When entering data in the memory by using Reader / Puncher interface, the ready signal (DR) of reader / puncher was off. Power supply of I/O unit is off or cable is not connected or a P.C.B. is defective." From what I understand this alarm is because I have an RS232 communication issue.

I am using a Serial to USB adapter with PC-DNC Editor Software and a custom made 25 to 9 serial cable. I have been using this setup on other Fanuc controls and again confirmed it working on a Fanuc 18-TB today. So I'm guessing it's an issue within the machine (not my setup). I'm not sure if it's an issue within the wiring/cables or if its a setting/channel issue within the control? Anyone have any suggestion or have any experience with this Alarm?

Does it matter that the A02B0120C192 serial cable is plugged into the PM3 JD5 port rather than the PM1 ?

If needed, I noticed that PLC Center sells a replacement A02B-0120-C192 for $198 http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/FANUC/A02B0120C192

I have attached some pictures and some parameters.....

086 usually means the CNC can't see the PC serial port. the same alarm will occur if the cable is not plugged in. most likely you are using the wrong port on the CNC. you have it set to channel 1. set it to channel 0 and set the associated channel 0 communication parameters correctly

DR OFF alarm

The DR OFF alarm is usually due to the CNC not seeing a cable plugged into the RS232 port. It very well could be your cable. If you jumper pins 4&5 together then jumper pins 6,8 & 20 together on the plug that plugs into the punch panel, the CNC will not give you that alarm when you punch. If you still get that alarm then it is pointing to a hardware problem inside the CNC. I would try another Koyo and see if you get the same results. If you do then maybe find a computer with a real serial port and make a cable to Fanuc specs.

he has confirmed his existing cable and adapter works on other Fanuc controls so it's clearly something on the machine. either parameters or a hardware issue.....

Attached are the relevant pages for the Software Operator Panel from the Powermate manual. If you need this manual google for GFZ-62094e. The pdf is the first link that comes up.

For uploading pics there are STUPID limits on those file types. Maximum size 500k and 1000x1000 pixels. That's why your upload fails. PDF has a 4GB file limit. Maybe the admin will see the error in his old-school thinking and bring the site into the 90's. Oh wait, it's 2013. Hmmmm.....

I see the bug that squashes the post on an edit still has not been fixed yet either. Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    he has confirmed his existing cable and adapter works on other Fanuc controls so it's clearly something on the machine. either parameters or a hardware issue.....

Attached are the relevant pages for the Software Operator Panel from the Powermate manual. If you need this manual google for GFZ-62094e. The pdf is the first link that comes up.

For uploading pics there are STUPID limits on those file types. Maximum size 500k and 1000x1000 pixels. That's why your upload fails. PDF has a 4GB file limit. Maybe the admin will see the error in his old-school thinking and bring the site into the 90's. Oh wait, it's 2013. Hmmmm.....

I see the bug that squashes the post on an edit still has not been fixed yet either. Hmmmm.....
    I have the manuals, apparently I wasn't looking in the right spot. Thanks for showing me where it is though. That's the same procedure I found (eventually through trial and error). I also attached Koyo's directions that they sent me the other day. So, entering EDIT mode is no longer an issue on any of my Koyo's.

My problem now is the 086 Alarm. I am waiting for another Koyo to test my serial connection setup to confirm that the issue is within that machine. It may be a while until I get some downtime (the Koyo's run almost 24/7). I'll let you know what I find when the time comes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NC Program Modification Procedure.pdf  

hey ray, your pms have pcmcia slots, look at your pic entitled servo and drives. the first and fourth units are the pmd s and have a little door on the unit this is where the card goes.
    anothe thing i want you to be aware of is the fact that the ladder on these are volatile , meaning if the batt fails the ladder goes aS as well so. you need the card for each control . do not use thw wrong card
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Page 1 of 3 123