586,094 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NC file tracking for the hobbyist

So I've gotten my feet wet with a small benchtop mill (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...l_rebuild.html) and have made several NC files using Cut2D. It occurred to me early in the process that I really needed a consistent way of naming and storing these files as well as linking them back to their Vectric source files.

So at this point I've been using a spreadsheet that has the CAD filename, material size, cutting tool, and NC filename. I haven't yet started editing the NC files to include this kind of information in the headers, and I'm wondering what kinds of methods you more experienced guys have implemented to keep track of your project files. Is there any kind of freeware or low cost versions of the commercial software suitable for the hobbyist?

Van

I just put each project in a different folder. The folder includes the Cad file, Cam file or files, and the nc code files. I usually revisit the cam file and produce a fresh NC file as I need them because tools change, my experiance level changes. As I learn I tweak the way I do thing on the mill and a fresh code is in order.

If I do hit on something I don't want to change I just name the file "part xyz_final" or Part xyz_proven" something like that.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

While I haven't quite gotten to the point where CAD/CAM part files are an issue for me (read: not very experienced), I have had similar issues with version tracking and the sort with my many SolidWorks part models and assemblies. Initially, I just kept backups and various copies of the parts, but that quickly became unmanageable. So what I eventually did is copy/track all my files in something called an SVN, a version tracking repository. With SVN, you can make changes to files, roll back to previous version, track changes, etc. You still have to maintain excellent file conventions and folder naming as kregan talks about, and there is a moderate learning curve, but having already used an SVN for other projects, this seemed like a fit for me.

I'm not saying an SVN is the best idea, but I think it would work for your needs. You should google 'SVN' for more info if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by vbgraves View Post
    So I've gotten my feet wet with a small benchtop mill (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...l_rebuild.html) and have made several NC files using Cut2D. It occurred to me early in the process that I really needed a consistent way of naming and storing these files as well as linking them back to their Vectric source files.

So at this point I've been using a spreadsheet that has the CAD filename, material size, cutting tool, and NC filename. I haven't yet started editing the NC files to include this kind of information in the headers, and I'm wondering what kinds of methods you more experienced guys have implemented to keep track of your project files. Is there any kind of freeware or low cost versions of the commercial software suitable for the hobbyist?

Van
    If you can't find what suits you, I develop software for the machining industry and on occasion do custom software for customers at a pretty reasonable cost: http://www.webmachinist.net/customsoftware.html
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

The easiest way I find is to have all the g-code for a particular job in a separate folder, and then name each process so that you know what it is without having to open it up.

For example, I may have a folder titled Guitar Body. My file names would be something like this for example:

1 - Guitar 1, Neck Pocket (,5 Compression).nc
    2 - Guitar 1, Pickup Cavity (,25 Compression).nc
    3 - Guitar 1, Trem Cavity (,25 Compression).nc and so forth

Without opening the folder, I know what's inside, and without opening, the gcode, I know what the process is and what bit to use. Note I used commas for the bit size, as using a period might make some CAM software think everything after it is a file extension. You cannot use forward or back slashes. Though other punctuations are available. Also note that I have two files using the same tool but have them separate. This avoids the hassle of starting a larger file mid-way, and allows me the flexibility of having different configurations saved, saving some programming time as I can pick operations "a la carte."

If I have a job with multiple parts and setups, I may use a numbering scheme like 10, 11, 12 for one part then 20, 21, 22 for the second part, or make separate folders.

I like the folder idea for collecting the files associated with a project. I have tended to group cad files together but separate from the nc files. And I have been putting a bit size in the file name.

I guess I was also thinking in terms of customer data as well. What about referring back to a particular job? If someone I made something for last year asked for another one, would I be able to find their project, know what it was, what material and finish, how much they paid, etc? May be overkill for now, but I was trying to get a good bookkeeping system set up well from the start.

draw the design in sketchup.. sp you have a better view on you imagine..
    get draftsigth and using sketchup elements you can make the conturs for cnc..
    now you can go with cut2d or just using the dxf files for gcodes..

make a folder like mymachine and make subfolders with main parts.. like gantry, table,, in these you migth also make a breakdown..
    so each drawing be on the rigth palce.. and now you can start to toolpath your files..
    i suggest draftsigth, because thats a complex cadprogram..

in my private opinion, cnc files should be same place like drawings.. migthbe you put in a folder,

like you have folder z assembly in the gantry main folder..
    in the z assembly folder you draw the parts for, and what you use name for part, same name you use for cnc files.

otherwise i believe it will be very hard to work with the many cncfile..

For all my clients, I have a separate folder for each. In each folder I have their jobs in separate folders, with the date and description in the folder's title. So for example I have a folder titled "Cory." The subfolders would be like "11-02-13 Part Assembly" or such. If I need to make notes, I just simply right-click in the folder and create a text document and just jot stuff down there. If I really really need to I'll also save a screenshot of the job in the folder as well.

Since I've tweaked my simulation time versus actual run time numbers, and have fixed pricing for setup, etc, and per hour rate, it's not too difficult for me to figure out what I charged previously for a job. I also bill with PayPal, which has a pretty decent invoice system.

If you really want to get fancy you could create an Excel spreadsheet with all this info, including file locations.

Lou,

Thanks for the details -- seems to cover it all. I'll consider something like that.

Van