586,055 active members*
4,399 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PM45 air and amp knob loose

Guys, I just figured out that my new PM45 has a loose connection or knob.
    I just kept getting intermittent torch fires.
    I bought the torch over a year ago and it sat in storage in a closet unused. Should have tried it out sooner.

Apparently the machine needs a technical tap in order to get to work.

There is something loose in the knob that controls the air and amps.
    After setting the air, I switch to the amps I want, it will do one of three things.

It makes no change to the air coming out of the torch.
    This causes a no fire situation.

It reduces the amount of air coming out of the torch.
    This also causes a no fire.

Lastly it stops air flow out of the torch either by just turning the knob or by tapping on the knob with my finger.
    The torch will fire then.

Really weird problem that I will get repaired at some point soon. Have no clue what the cost might be.

Any of you ever heard of such an issue or know anything about the replacement cost, ease of replacement or where I can actually order the part?
    Lee

The amperage knob on the Powermax45 serves two functions....it sets the amperage , and when turned fully counter clockwise it switches on the air flow to the torch ....without firing the torch....this allows you to adjust the air flow regulator under air flow conditions.

This control knob probably is not related to your problem of the air staying on after the knob is turned clockwise to set the amps. Since you say your system was in storage, unused....then I suspect the problem is a sticking air solenoid valve inside the power supply. If the solenoid valve has dried out....or has a little debris in it...the symptoms would be exactly as you suggest them. The torch will not fire idf the air solenoid is stuck open.
    Tapping, or smacking the machine may be enough to allow the valve to close.

Two choices.....you can call Hypertherm's tech service department...they are free and they are very good at solving issues such as this.......or you can take the cover off the unit (after disconnecting input power) and locate and disassemble the solenoid valve. Often it can be cleaned, re-assembled and it will work fine.

If your unit is only a year old....it is still under warranty. Tech service can advise you of the nearest repair staion location as well...

Hope this helps, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Guys, I just figured out that my new PM45 has a loose connection or knob.
    I just kept getting intermittent torch fires.
    I bought the torch over a year ago and it sat in storage in a closet unused. Should have tried it out sooner.

Apparently the machine needs a technical tap in order to get to work.

There is something loose in the knob that controls the air and amps.
    After setting the air, I switch to the amps I want, it will do one of three things.

It makes no change to the air coming out of the torch.
    This causes a no fire situation.

It reduces the amount of air coming out of the torch.
    This also causes a no fire.

Lastly it stops air flow out of the torch either by just turning the knob or by tapping on the knob with my finger.
    The torch will fire then.

Really weird problem that I will get repaired at some point soon. Have no clue what the cost might be.

Any of you ever heard of such an issue or know anything about the replacement cost, ease of replacement or where I can actually order the part?

Thanks, Jim.
    It cut pretty well yesterday after I got it to work correctly. I just applied slight side pressure to the knob a few times. Then it started acting right. I bought it in Sept. 2011. About 18 months. Closest repair place would be almost 300 miles. My Son goes up by there several times a year. I'll probably get him to swing it by on one of those trips and I'll pick it up when ready.
    I will call though and see what they say about this.
    Thanks a bunch for the advice, Jim.
    Lee

Well, as it turns out, my local distributor is also an authorized repair facility. He was unaware that the website doesn't list them as such. He said they have been doing it for many years, so it should be found in the search feature, but isn't. I will take it down to them as soon as I can let it go when I have enough production parts on hand. He said turn around time should be about 24 hours. Very cool, if not optimistic.
    Thanks again for the help, Jim.
    Lee