586,108 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > Warning to potential buyers of RhinoCAM

Warning to potential buyers of RhinoCAM

When I was first shopping for software several years ago I decided on RhinoCAM but almost did not buy it because it needed a dongle and they will not replace a lost dongle. You need to repurchase the software if you loose it.

I have always been very careful about keeping track of my dongle and locking it in my safe, but now I seem to have misplaced it when I moved a few months ago and I had to take everything out of the safe to move it. I am confident that I will find it sometime and that I put it somewhere safe, just have not figured out where that is yet.

I called Mecsoft today to see if there was any way to buy a new dongle for less than full price of the software - no. Surely they have some type of temporary license I can use for 30 days to get out some jobs until I find the dongle - nope. How about downloading the new version demo and using it for a short time - sorry, it will not post. Basically I am screwed. If my dongle just stopped working I assume that I could send it back for a replacement, but would still be down waiting for a new one, and still not sure I could get one without spending a lot of money.

Potential buyers beware.

I believe that is the same policy as ALL dongle software in North America
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I have a few usb dongles and that's the policy on all of them. I keep old trade show id lanyards on them which helps keep track of them.

Derek

you can insure your dongle against loss on your homeowners or apartment insurance

Simple idea.. You will never loose the dongle again. Just purchase 30US dollar GPS tracking device from Aliexpress website. Attach it with the dongle and it will always give you position feedback within 3meters radius... which is more than enough for a lazy person like me...
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Don't buy a car.... you might get a flat!

Angry

Ya, been there, done that, not with rhinocam, but another software package , I will NEVER, EVER, purchase any software that needs a dongle NEVER, to all who are even thinking about buying dongle run software, think twice,

Well.....IDK about that.
    I have 2 programs use dongle and I have SolidWorks, a high end program that does not.

- with the dongle I can install my software on 50 PCs (if I want), walk up and plug-in and use it.
    - with SW, absolutely not, have to have internet and unlicense 1 PC so can use on another, every single time
    - with SW forced to have internet connection (if my PC is also my machine controller (call me old fashioned) I DO NOT want it connected to extra risk of net)
    - with SW, if your PC blows up and you no longer pay the huge annual maintenance fees, your in the same boat as losing the dongle - F****KED - give them 5G for new software.

I am a big fan of SW but its licensing sucks huge.
    Give me a dongle over that BS any day

I would agree, the online licensing with SW is bad, BUT also have to disagree too, at least With solidworks, I can make an extra BACKUP COPY of the SW CD, and if my PC dies, I can simply re-install it again, and re-license any time and as many times as I need to for free, even when the maintenance is over, there is no charge to re-install and re-license the fresh install

I cannot make a backup copy of a dongle, once the dongle is lost, it's gone

Quote Originally Posted by Markwind View Post
    I can simply re-install it again, and re-license any time and as many times as I need to for free, even when the maintenance is over, there is no charge to re-install and re-license the fresh install
    Thanks Mark, I hope this is true. I have dropped my annuals and hope I have no issues with future installs. A point of note, you can't just re-install. First you have to phone support and have them un-license the dead PC. Then the new installation will work. Last time I did this I was still on annuals. I hope I don't get turned away by tech if I need to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    Thanks Mark, I hope this is true. I have dropped my annuals and hope I have no issues with future installs. A point of note, you can't just re-install. First you have to phone support and have them un-license the dead PC. Then the new installation will work. Last time I did this I was still on annuals. I hope I don't get turned away by tech if I need to do it again.
    Sorry to hijack the main topic, about Software Dongle
    promise this will be my last post on SW

Yes it's true, no charge to re-install, I have done it a few times ,
    Only one catch, make sure you save a copy of all the update downloads, (Solidworks Download Folder) they won't let you download them after the maintenance is over,

I finally did find my dongle. I knew it would just be a matter of time, but I still don't like dongle programs.

There are several companies that will give you a software patch to remove the dongle feature. Supposedly it is legal if you actually have a legal copy of the program. I had a 30 day trial of the unlock patch when I first bought Rhinocam and it worked great. I didn't buy the patch because they wanted $300 for it and that seemed a bit steep just to insure against loosing the dongle. At $100 I would have probably bought it.

brian257

one of those site says they make your dongle copy .. but they dont offer creating """new dongle"""
    im not legal expert, but i believe no one could blame you if you get a copy of your dongle.. some soft very expenses.. and somehow just simply not straigth to pending on a flashdrive..

yet, bad dongles returned will be replaced..

That is great news Brian!

Ya, like Victor is saying. Most will replace broken dongles for a small fee (and of course your down time waiting).

What about my idea of using GSM tracking device:cheers:
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    What about my idea of using GSM tracking device:cheers:
    How much of a problem keeping batteries charger over a period of years?