587,021 active members*
4,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

First CNC: CRP4896

Today we ordered our first CNC machine, a CRP4896.

I've run CNC milling machines and lathes before, but I never really went that deep into the setup or programming.

Here's what we got:
    • 1 x 4' x 8' Extrusion Machine Kit, Nema 34 (Pro-drive upgrade)
    • 1 x 4-Axis Plug and Play Nema 34 System
    • - Cable Upgrade: (1) 12' and (3) 20' cables
    • 1 x Complete Cable Track Kit
    • - Machine Size: CRP4896 4' x 8'
    • 1 x Mach3 CNC Control Software
    • 1 x Porter Cable 690/892 Router Mount
    • 1 x VCarve Pro CAM Software
    • 1 x Cut3D CAM Software
    • 1 x Proximity Limit Switch Kit

We plan on using mostly wood and HDU, but I'd like to know people's experience with cutting aluminum on this machine, too.

What's the best material to use for spoil board, especially considering we may want to spray some coolant if we cut aluminum.

I would have liked to get Aspire straight away, but that will need to come in time. Same with a spindle. We just received our Porter Cable 892 a couple of days ago to go with this setup.

Now I need to research what end mills and router bits to get.

I'll keep this thread updated with our progress.

Here's the table we have planned for this machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SableShapeCutterCRP4896-02sm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	180528
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Table_unfinished.jpg   SableShapeCutterCRP4896-02.jpg  

My crp4848 cuts aluminum great, but I limit depth of cut to 0.060" on slotting or the chips get stuck.
    I think mdf holds up well enough if you are using wd40 as lube. Anything waterbased will swell it up.

Thanks!

I know it's not much, but the leveling mounts and t-nuts arrived yesterday for our support table.

We also bought a 2hp dust collector. I think we'll make it a two-stage.

Time to clear out our garage and turn it into our shop!

Our extrusion will be here Monday and most of the rest shipped today. The rails and racks will ship Tuesday.

Novaprops, could you repost the pic of your table? doesn't seem to be a pic there in your post. thanx.....

Sure.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SableShapeCutterCRP4896-02sm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	180867

holy crap....it's beautiful! do you have any plans for this table? I would gladly pay for plans if you had them. I am going to be ordering the crp4848 kit very soon and THIS is the table I want to put it on. Excellent job!!!!

We don't actually have plans for this table, but I'd be happy to post a diagram and description.

Give me a couple of days to get that together.

Thanx Novaprops........pete

As for the cut 3D you may want to cancel that as the only feature that it has that Aspire doesn't is multi sided modeling.

We're actually not getting Aspire quite yet, just Cut3d and VCarve Pro.

I want Aspire, but we'll need to wait on that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kiramunch@sympa View Post
    Thanx Novaprops........pete
    No problem.

Our extrusion arrived today.

We still need to clear out most of our garage, but it feels good to know that a major component to our new machine is here. All 288lbs!

It looks like at least part of the rest of our delivery will arrive today. There are five packages from Ahren, which we were expecting tomorrow, but something arrived in-town yesterday so we'll see what shows up at our door today.

I'm really looking forward to playing with our Vectric software while we're setting up our garage and table.

Which, BTW, I'll get posted very soon.

I would see if you could just get Aspire to start with it would save some money over time and they just came out with a new version.

Looking forward to watching your build. I will be starting to build a CRP4848 in the next few weeks. Like yourself, I have operated several CNC machines while working in the Navy Nuclear Industry and I also owned a commercially built CNC Router that I used in my cabinet business before I was medically retired 3 years ago. You will love the Vectric software. I have V-Carve Pro and I love it. In fact I just recieved the lastest upgrade so I can't wait to get my machine up and running.

Chuck

Good luck!

I'm still waiting for my upgrade to v7. I think I need to contact them at this point.

We're still waiting for the weather to cooperate so we can clear our garage and get it ready for our new machine, but everything is here now, so I can't wait! :stickpoke

I'd check your spam folder on your email or call them. You should have already received the download link for version 7 by now.

One suggestion on your picture of your machine. Make your spoil board or at least the one under it to go all the way to the extrusion on both sides. This will keep saw dust from piling up. FYI 3/4 thick board will not fit under the carriages, you will have to use 7/16 or 1/2.

I've been cutting sheet aluminum (2024 t3 alclad) lately building my plane. I built a removable vacuum table that I hold down the parts with. It works OK but not great.
    Use Single O flute router bits on aluminum. I also found that that rubbing some bees wax on the bit before a run seems to keep it from gumming up on the bit as bad. I also found I prefer to use an Up cut bit when cutting aluminum. The times I tried using a down cut single O flute on the sheet aluminum it would gum up on the bit really fast.

good luck on your build

Page 1 of 4 123