586,061 active members*
4,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Parallel port

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy BobCad but i don't know if it can control my machine or if it is designed to do so in the first place.

I'm about to build a machine that will use the parallel port for control (step/direction) but on BobCad's list of features it says "RS 232 Communications ? Fully Customizable by the operator" Does that mean it will not use the parallel port? please help.

I just bought bobcad v20.6 last week. It is a very nice setup as what ever you draw in it, it can make the program file to machine it however you want. I am almost positive you have to use mach 3 or something which is what I am going to use.

Scott :wee:

BobCad is a cad/cam package. You can draw something and make g-code out of it.
    It doesn't control your machine.

Look at Mach3 or TurboCnc for this.

Yes, RS232 is NOT going to run off your parallel port.

Suggestion: do an "RS232" search on this website. You should find a lot of information that will help you....

Thank you guys, So bobcad will just prepare my files for the machine, that's OK, it looks like it is a good package i just thought it will take the extra step to make my life easier.

Use the com 1 port in the back of your p.c. not the printer port. On the cam side of BC. under file,set,file extension enter .txt (all controller shoule be able to read a .txt file) next under file go to send,com 1 and set the rest of info.

So this means i can control my machine using BobCad if i installed an RS232 controller rathar than one using the printer port. Anyway i'm building my first machine so i'll invest in both types of controllers and see which is best. I prefer to use the same software for doing everything, I'm lazy

The printer port on your computer is a parallel port the com port is a serial port both ports are RS-232 port. What Bobcad came do is write the code for your controller that what runs your machine be sure your computer has a very good graphic card or you will have trouble running software

Thank you Lakeside,

I completely understand what you mean, I know the difference between the two ports, as of computer specs i'm sure BobCad won't mind a 2.+GHz AMD 256MB Nvedia and a healthy 512MB of RAM most of the modeling is going to take place on my Trusty PowerMac G5 this is where i feel comfortable, PC will do nothing more than running the machine, my main concern is whither BobCad is cabable of running the machine directly or not. Parallel or serial is just a secondary issue, Sorry i gave you the impresion that i don't know the difference between a keyboard and a keyfob but so it happened.

Yes BC. Can run DNC. drip feed to controller I have done this on many parts with 3d surfaces running a Prototak DPM with a MX3 controller one issue you may have is if your controller has a small upload buffer and you do a lot of code the upload time in DNC could exceed the cycle time also on set-up page camside of BC file extension will need to be .DNC

More specifically:

BobCAD-CAM is a CAD/CAM software, so your parts can be desgined and the code for manufacturing can be produced.

It is not a controller software. BobCAD-CAM is incapable of generating the necessary step and direction pulses the machine requires to make movement occur.

Regards

Thank you, The One,

It is clear now, BobCAD will generate the code but will not control the machine, so this means my investment in Mach3 is not wasted after all.

Thank you everyone, you've been a great help.