586,305 active members*
3,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Custom Machine Process Definition / DATRON MCR Post

Custom Machine Process Definition / DATRON MCR Post

I just picked up an older DATRON Cat3D and I'm in the process of creating a custom post processor for it. One thing I haven't previously had a reason to delve into was creating any kind of custom machine functions that could be called. With this machine, it has the ability to probe the z height and create a correction map that can be applied to the programmed Z height during machining, thereby maintaing a constant depth of cut on a surface that may not be flat.

I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to create a custom operation that could be used within solidcam to call the probing routine with the proper parameters. The got me thinking about how SolidCAM would handle custom M code usage for things such as pallet changers, robots, etc. as well. Can a customer operation be defined that can then be added in with the machining operations?

On a related note, I can write a post for the DATRON MCR format this machine uses, but if there is one already out there that I could get my hands on, that would save me some time.

-Dave

I would create a custom drill cycle with all the parameters you need to accomplish this.

Not an easy task, but it can be done.

I have a excellent backround in g-codes and I also have a basic understanding of Fanuc 'marco programing'. I was able to grind my way through the post to add similar functions such as what you are describing, and it only took me 7 months! But it was worth it in the end.

Another thing you can do is write a 'text file' with the code you want inserted into your code. Then right click an opertion in your cam tree and select 'file' and open the file you want embeded into your code.

The text file might be the way to go, but I was hoping to be able to use variables to define the probing constraints based upon the project parameters. The output code is extremely simple. To call Z axis Correction, position above Xmin,Ymin and then:

Zcorr [size of area to measure in x], [size of area to measure in y], [reference height x position], [reference height y position], [grid spacing interval], [z axis retract between measurement points], 1, 1

Then to activate the automatic correction:

Zheight 1, 0, 0, 0

As you can imagine, being able to have a user defined process window pup up and ask for the fields would be extremely helpful. For projects such as control panels where I'm working with heavy gauge steel enclosures that are cut out or engraved, this can be used to map the unmachined surface prior to cutting and engraving. If it can grab xmim/ymin and xmas/ymax from the cam data, that would be beneficial.

The post does have axcess to 'stock size' and 'target size' data, so you might be able to use that info in your custom drill cycle. This is output at the begining of the post. If you turn the 'trace function' on in your post you should see it. When solidcam post a program, it call for a process like '@change_tool', then it looks for @change_tool in your post and outputs the code accordingly. When you turn on the trace function, it will output all the variables and processes it uses to generate the code. Then it is up to you to read this and write your post to use this info.

Understood. I'd have to define a new drill cycle type in the pre processor, then a corresponding function in the post and then come up with some convoluted usage of the drill cycle parameters. In use, you'd have to select bogus drill locations, tool, feed, speed, etc to satisfy the required fields and likely just use it in a manner similar to a peck drill to grab a retract value. While I certainly have an appreciation for thinking outside the box to go this tour and agree it could work, the reality is that it's a really messy workaround that will likely result in more effort being spent to use it than just go the included text route.
    This reminds me of having to use machine air and spindle air as the coolant types to map for activating the aspirator and lower the dust shroud (respectively) on a CNC router post. It's a kludge all because you can't add a user defined cooling type that can be named appropriately or even rename an existing one.
    I won't turn this into a bashing session, but I do find it hard to believe the basic idea of user defined processes can't be implemented pretty easily. Sure, they wouldn't have the pretty graphics of the built-in processes, but a simple screen with a list of user named fields that could be linked to geometry features or user-entered values... Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like that would have made the feature list by now.

Well, I think I may have found something of use. Trudging through the gpptool docs in the preprocessor section, I found a useful nugget. You can add named variables and options in the preprocessor, which then appear during the job creation. In my case, what I could do as a starting point would be to add a job option to enable z height correction, have the variables define any margin from the stock min/max, along with the grid size. If the job option for z correction is enabled, it can then be inserted automatically in the job start section.

I wrote postprocessor for Datron V7, V8, V9.
    I tested and it works perfectly.
    [email protected]

Re: Custom Machine Process Definition / DATRON MCR Post

Do you happen to have a post for the older DOS based Datron controller? Can't sent you a private message.

Thanks,