586,072 active members*
4,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Components Case, where to buy? make?
Page 1 of 2 12

Components Case, where to buy? make?

Components Case, where to buy? make?

I need a case to hold my hardware, 24v power supply, gecko 540 driver and I figured a couple of small 12v fans wired in a series for extra cooling measure.

I'm in Canada, where is good place to find small cases? or just make your own?

thx

Newark electronics

I bought mine from CNC4PC.com. Works great. Here's a link: CNC4PC

Custom made mine from 2mm Aluminum some angles + many expansion rivets....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07892.JPG  
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

i'm leaning towards just making my own...after seeing that picture.
    Is putting in a couple extra small fans in the case overkill?
    Here is the arrangement I was thinking of doing with it. Wiring two 12v fans in a series and hooking it up the power supply as well?

Opinions, suggestions?

thx

Dependent on how narrow you will get and what power you switch the two fans would make sense but watching your components it surely IS overkill and over noise ( the Meanwell Switching supply already has its own fan)!!!
    the 6A Switching suply is probably having less than 50 W losses and the Gecko is also not more so one fan is more than enough
    AND - it makes definitely NO SENSE to connect the brushless motors of the two fans including the motor pcb in series. There is usually a stabilized voltage part on the pcb to evaluate the hall sensor signal and to switch the amps, so a series connection of these would make no sense at all!!! There are no brushed motors used within the fans....

Hansjoerg

If it doesn't have to be pretty, get a ammo can, maybe a 50 cal. and blow a hole for the fan, and cut a hole in the bottom for a vent. Most hardware stores have small aluminum vents.

Strong, lockable, but ugly...

I'm not an electronics expert by any means and will need to be bugging some more experienced people on here on the proper way to set this up and wire it correctly. I assumed 24v output on the power supply would be sufficient for driving the stepper motors? If I wired two 12v fans in a series for 24v then i could just hook straight up to the supply as well?
    I was concerned about the heat of the driver...this is my first cnc machine, so there will be lots of learning to do.

So what is the proper voltage to set in order to run the steppers well?
    How do you recommend wiring up a single fan? Can I run it off the power supply?

Please keep replies in newbie terms...much appreciated.

thx

I believe you have a 48 V supply there not a 24V.

Quote Originally Posted by xspyke View Post
    I believe you have a 48 V supply there not a 24V.
    I assume you can turn it down with voltage adjustment on the left?

If you run the motors with the same 24V you won't be using the Gecko at it full potential. Meaning speed and torque. I have the same supply, and I used a cheap "wall wart" to power just the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    I assume you can turn it down with voltage adjustment on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by xspyke View Post
    If you run the motors with the same 24V you won't be using the Gecko at it full potential. Meaning speed and torque. I have the same supply, and I used a cheap "wall wart" to power just the fans.
    okay, thanks...yah i wasn't sure about that. Was hoping to keep thing a little tidier and contained in one unit. No big deal, I will do the same then and just run it off an adapter.

What voltage should you be running steppers at?
    How hot does the gecko get? Or is it nothing to worry about...I will be putting one fan in at least.

Run at the full 48 because that is the max the Gecko will take. A little less if you are worried.

I was the other guy picking up parts when you were picking up your machine in TO.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    okay, thanks...yah i wasn't sure about that. Was hoping to keep thing a little tidier and contained in one unit. No big deal, I will do the same then and just run it off an adapter.

What voltage should you be running steppers at?

ah okay...yah i remember. You made all of the cables for the machine...?

I would probably turn it down slightly just to be on the safe side...gecko site says it can handle 50.

It's been a long time waiting for parts and free time to finally get this machine up and running.
    Need to figure out all of the wiring, limit switches, estop, software, etc.
    Have to disassemble and drill and tap for rubber legs mine didn't have.
    Just waiting on the bosch colt mount which is tied up in the postal strike.

If you have the same kind of setup, photos of your wiring and setup, limit switches and where you mounted them(if you had any on yours) would be much appreciated, as I have no knowledge of any of this stuff.

thx

AIrbrush - the poti on the left is to precisely trim the voltage range if to be adjusted - WHat means around 48 V not dwon to 24 V its trim and not adjustment!!

And about the fans -> believe me - NO series connection!

That is my R&D business for rather 13 years now

The electronics in the fan needs continuously the specified voltage range to work correctly which is NOT given when both of the fans establish a moving voltage ladder with gaps and peaks .....

but that is not worst some guys use AC Voltage on a DC Fan and take the average Voltage for the DC Value what is a NO GO!!!

Do a search for 48v fans. I got some from All-Electronics for pretty cheap that run directly off off the power source. If you can't find any send me a pm and I'll see if I can find one of my extra ones that I could send you.

We doo produce and sell that stuff in millions per year ... 48 V is no problem at all... go for ebm-papst - World market leader for energy-saving fans and motors and check out the cathalog

You will find our products in Electronics and parts supply also in IT Computer shops for 48 V... check more in direction IT Telecom or take a look on distributors list on the website...

And go for normal power not sforce portfolio - this one is getting "a bit" louder cooling outsourced highest performant units in telecom applications...

http://www.ebmpapst.com/media/conten...sgabe_2011.pdf

Here are some pictures of my control box.

First photo. I've wired it for limit switches, but I have not installed any on my machine.

Second Photo. The rear power input with fuse and power switch.

Third photo. Top view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 9.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 4.jpg  

xspyke, thats one nice and clean looking box...mine will look more like a rats nest when i'm done with it i'm sure.

i'm having some trouble finding connectors for the limit switches...i was going to do like yours and just be able to plug them in.

I just wanted simple 2pin panel mount connectors but have been surfing through the huge electronics catalogues with no luck...mainly because i don't know what i'm looking for.

I was going to order the rest of the component switches etc from newark.com. Also I was going tie all of the wires from the limit switches that are supposed to hook to the -vcd of the power supply into a ground bus block...but no ones seems to have these. What else is a tidy way to hook up multiple wires into one connection?

Also why the double power switch? I was just going to get a inlet with a 5amp fuse and then hook that to an on/off rocker switch.

thx

Control box for WHAT ?

None of you have mentioned what the control box is intended to control.

It makes a difference.

If you're building a mill or a router, there exists the chance that you'll be, at some point in the future, using coolant of some sort. Also a good chance that you'll be having swarf floating around the shop.

Lot to be said for having the control box sealed. Have read about cases where aluminum swarf has welded itself across the traces inside of a Gecko.

Take a look at the new control box which PMDX is building. Several interesting features. The door has a gasket. There is no internal fan, but there are external cooling fins for the geckos, which are mounted to the fins, but INSIDE the box. Takes a key to open the door, and I think that the door has an interlock switch. (not sure) eStop switch and start button with power on light mounted in door.

There is NO provision for an internal fan. However, if you put a fan inside the case, the case itself should do a good job of cooling the air inside it. Should heat become a problem, you could certainly add more cooling fins to the outside of the box.

Whether you decide to buy the PMDX box or not, think carefully about the features which Steve has built into this box.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12