586,106 active members*
3,106 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 19 of 24 91718192021
    Hello everyone, I have been reading this thread for quite some time... and just now decided to become a member. I work in mechanical design and I will volunteer to do some 3d modeling if anyone needs. I use autodesk inventor and can maybe do some file conversions as well.

I have seen a lot of nice work from a lot of you, and I was wondering if anyone could provide any finalized g code? I would like to try making one of these if I ever find a friend with a CNC

Hey all, interesting thread! Anyone have any updates?

I am just in the final stages of my DIY JGRO router build, and I really want to try building a strat. I have never even had a solid body guitar (only acoustics), so this will be a steep learning curve for me.

I actually bought the body design and machining DVDs from CNCguitar.com and found them extremely enlightening.

I have downloaded the body and neck files, but I have a few questions for you guys...

Why can't the edge radius be done on the cnc router, rather than on a conventional router?

What is the easiest way to drill the holes from the Jack to the control cavity and from the trem. back cavity to the control cavity?

Why not have the CNC drill the tuner peg holes and radius the "fretboard"

Best way to drill the truss rod hole in the end of the neck? Anyone successfully make a jig for that?
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Oh, and about those files, maybe someone could clear up my confusion...

I don't think I'm scaling the neck right as the with at the base where it fits the body comes out to 2.1952...?

Any specific reason for that? The stewmac replacement necks are 2 3/16" and the body that turmite posted has a neck pocket of 2 1/8"

I don't see where gregmary posted his body? Did he route a 2.2" neck pocket in his?
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Strat thread revival

I am getting ready to go
    Tooling picture.
    Been doing this too long

Did gregmary ever finish his Strat? I've just finished reading this entire thread, but didn't see and final pics.

Bostosh, I've stared at your pic for a few minutes. I'm assuming that's your tooling plate? If so, are you making a separate one for each side of the body? I also don't really understand the purpose of a tooling plate for this type of build unless you plan on making hundreds.

I'm currently modeling a tele in SW2010 and plan to start on it soon. I'll probably start a new thread for that build though...

Paul

Strat Neck Original Fender Drawing

I am currently modelling this in Solidworks, will post when finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strat Neck.jpg  

I found that little gem about a week ago and used it to model the tele neck. :cheers:

Paul

Fatal,
    This is a tooling plan which I can rip material out with 15-20 Hp and 1" cutters full depth.
    Or go high-speed-feed programming style.
    And have enough clamping places for most any shapes.
    Its hard to put a clamp on when the material is flying away.
    (universal tooling plate) (table slots for different machines)
    actually I am do things the way I did parts in Aerospace-land.
    And just exercise the software too.
    Been doing this too long

Hello peoples, does anyone have a DWG or DXF 3d file of a strat neck? I've got the body but haven't the neck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I'm so late to the party. But here is a complete model you would need to make everything yourself basicly grabcad.com/library/62-strat-asm

Quote Originally Posted by protomachinst6 View Post
    Sorry I'm so late to the party. But here is a complete model you would need to make everything yourself basicly grabcad.com/library/62-strat-asm
    Looks great, but how do you use this type file? I have Rhino, and 2 CAD programs and SolidWorks viewer, and none recognized this file type.

Lynn

let me know what file type you need and i will gladly convert and post them for you

let me know what file type you need and i will gladly convert and post them for you
    Thank you for the generous offer. Can you perhaps convert to an .STL file?

Lynn

I sure can give me an hour and I'll have the files posted here

i tried to use common formats, if you need anything else just shoot me a message i hope this helps get everyone going again

Spencer
    Attached Files Attached Files

i tried to use common formats, if you need anything else just shoot me a message i hope this helps get everyone going again

Spencer
    Thank you Spencer. I'd like to try to cut this some day. I own a couple MIM Strats and wouldn't it be a hoot to build my own!

Lynn

I Also plan on building my own body and neck, prob. In the next several weeks I would like to be able to start machining.

Ditto!

I have gathered almost all the materials I need to build a 2x3 gantry router. I have everything but the electronics. I will get them when I decide on a package.
    How would you actually start machining something like this? I assume you would use a program to break the model down into it's parts that you could machine. I currently have Cut3D; I wonder if that could do it (I don't think it will break up the model though)? I can see now I'll need to start with foam blanks while I'm learning how to cut guitar parts; too expensive to learn with wood!

Lynn

I personally will be using mastercam V9 to make tool paths for a machine at worked, basically it comes down to how to hold it and in what order to machine it in. I plan on doing the front first putting in all the holes and running an initial rough and finish surface contour to get the shape then flip it over. I'll end up adding more holes to pick up location and a traming hole as well

Lynn,
    1st question is how do you hold the material you wish to cut to the machine?
    Been doing this too long

Page 19 of 24 91718192021