586,104 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 20 of 24 101819202122
    Check back in tonight and I'll have a model of how I plan to hold it

Hold It!

I would imagine it would be something like:

In the beginning stages, you could hold the blank at strategic places with clamps in areas that are not in danger of being smacked by the machine. In later phases, I would imagine you'd have to have some sort of jig to make sure the guitar was exactly where you wanted it, including a scheme for flipping it over. This probably would allow more direct clamping, like using fasteners inside the blank where you can use already machined features (holes) to fasten to the jig.

It would definitely take some planning from the go. I'm looking forward to seeing how Spencer has mapped it out. It appears he is well on the way on his project.

Lynn

protomachinst6, any chance you would be willing to post these files to cncmentor.com? Great work.

Consider also entering our design contest.
    http://cncmentor.com - open source sharing community and CAD Library

Can someone point me to a vector file for an 11-hole Strat pickguard? I want to use my Epilog laser to cut one.

Thanks!

Guitar models, all formats

Take a look here, it is free registration.

Welcome stranger, sign-in - GrabCAD

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueek View Post
    Take a look here, it is free registration.

Welcome stranger, sign-in - GrabCAD
    Thank you for your reply. Do you know of a way to convert IGS files to dxf? I don't have a way to open IGS. I apologize for being a pain in the butt.

IGES TO DXF

Post or point me to the file and I will see what I can do with Solidworks.
    Do you only want the 2d outline as an iges file is usually a surface entity.

Post or point me to the file and I will see what I can do with Solidworks.
    Do you only want the 2d outline as an iges file is usually a surface entity.
    Yes, just the outline (all the holes, etc. also). I want to cut the guard with my laser. I use Corel Draw for this sort of work. It can import a lot of file types but IGS isn't one of them. DXF or even PDF works. Here's a link to the file:

Join the crowd, register now - GrabCAD

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Pickguard DXF

Here is the model in DXF format.
    I noticed that the spline is in small pieces, you may need to respline or modify in your CNC software.
    Good luck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Pickguard DXF

If the spline is too fragmented I can re-spline for you

If the spline is too fragmented I can re-spline for you
    Yes please! It is very fragmented. I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Pickguard DXF

I have just interogated the pickguard model from that site in Solidworks.
    The guy who designed it was not a CAD jockey or engineer. (a musician?)
    The pickup slots have differing radii at each end and are not tangential to the slot sides.
    I would guess there are other non continuities that may cause you problems at the CNC end.
    I will continue looking for a good pickguard.
    Are you looking for an eleven hole guard to match an existing guitar?
    You may need to leave the holes out and match drill the guitar in that case to ensure the correct position.

I have just interogated the pickguard model from that site in Solidworks.
    The guy who designed it was not a CAD jockey or engineer. (a musician?)
    The pickup slots have differing radii at each end and are not tangential to the slot sides.
    I would guess there are other non continuities that may cause you problems at the CNC end.
    I will continue looking for a good pickguard.
    Are you looking for an eleven hole guard to match an existing guitar?
    You may need to leave the holes out and match drill the guitar in that case to ensure the correct position.
    After looking at, and tweaking the file, I have come to the same conclusion. What I'm looking for is a decent 11-hole stock-configuration guard drawing that I can use as a basis for modifications such as different pickup combinations and controls, i.e. two pots instead of three, the addition of a mini-toggle, etc. But I need to start out with a bone-stock, 11-hole guard.

Thank you for your contribution to my dilemma.

Pickguard

I have a solid model of the 1964 Strat body with all the true cutouts and edge radii which is an exact replica I made from the official Fender drawing.
    My son also has an American Strat Deluxe I can take measurements from although his is a later 12 hole model.
    I will make a pickguard model for you this weekend.

I have a solid model of the 1964 Strat body with all the true cutouts and edge radii which is an exact replica I made from the official Fender drawing.
    My son also has an American Strat Deluxe I can take measurements from although his is a later 12 hole model.
    I will make a pickguard model for you this weekend.
    Wow - I appreciate that! It looks like there are no real good vector drawings out there of this guard, so it will become popular I'm sure.

I did find a couple of old pdf files that look great, but I can't import them because of their old version format. If you want them, I can dig them up and send them. If you have an older version of something that can import pdf's then they might be of value.

Send me PM and email address I have the drawing for pickguards. I have been thru this recently.
    Been doing this too long

Quote Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
    Send me PM and email address I have the drawing for pickguards. I have been thru this recently.
    PM Sent. Thank you very much!

Strat Pickguard

Is this any use to you?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stratpg64template.jpg  

Pickguard derived from this but I modified for my contours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StratBP2201.jpg  
    Been doing this too long

Quote Originally Posted by anoel View Post
    Guitar building with CNC (Efficient building that is...) should not be done as a true 3D Machining of a solid model... The efficient way to build say a "Strat" body is to start with a dimensioned blank of the right thickness. Rig up a way to index the blank for top and bottom operations... Use a pocketing routine to route the Neck pocket, pickup routes, control cavity, jack cavity and tremolo hole. Use a drill routine to either drill or spot bridge posts or screw locations and Neck mounting holes, Then follow that with a Contouring operation to route the profile of the body to an acceptable depth or all of the way out if your indexing is within the confines of the body itself. Then follow that with a 3D routine that machines the forearm contour ONLY based on a surface... Flip over then another 2.5D pocket for the Temolo Spring cavity and maybe completing the tremolo through hole... Then another 3D pass to machine the belly bevel again based from surface geometry.
    I understand how doing 2.5d and 3d ops seperately are better, but I was wondering what software people are using to do this. The software I have used (hobby level) either is 3d only or 2d only.

Page 20 of 24 101819202122