586,082 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New guy here from Round Rock TX

Hello, I have been lurking around this forum for about 6 months or so. I am in the market for a CNC machine to do prototype work and small production at home. I have full access to a Haas VF2 and a Bridgeport cnc center for running production parts.

I am about 98% sure I am going with the Tormach for the house. I contacted a member that was nice enough to offer me a chance to swing by his place and see one with the tool changer in action and ask him questions.

I have been reading as many posts on this and other forums to see the opinions of detractors and the real life, hands on experience from owners. Those who hate it and call it garbage seem to be a majority who have never used one or even seen one in person so as soon as I see that this is the case I quickly dismiss their comments.

All that being said, I am glad to be a member here. I will probably just stick around this part of the forum as I am not brave enough to wander too far in here. I see how things heat up quickly sometimes in other parts of this forum.

I hope to learn a lot and with time, hopefully give back more than I take from here.

Glad to be here.

Leo

Welcome! Put up your feet and stay awhile.
    I've never used a Haas, but I've used my 1100 extensively, and plan on buying several more for my next product. Great company.

Leo,

Stop by Z-Bot in Austin and see Bob and the gang.m they are a Tormach dealer and were a great help for me. They are the OEM manufacturer of the tool changer.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by brow318 View Post
    Leo,

Stop by Z-Bot in Austin and see Bob and the gang.m they are a Tormach dealer and were a great help for me. They are the OEM manufacturer of the tool changer.

Kevin
    I actually have been by there. I plan on swinging by again soon.

I would also like to thank TXFred for graciously welcoming me into his home and showing me the ins and outs of his 1100. He did some great work while I was there and had a lot of insight.

Hey Leo, I'm also in Round Rock. Welcome to the forum.

I have a CNCed X3 and just ordered an MTW MD001. I also have a Jet JMD18 mill.

I was so close to ordering a Novakon Torus Pro, but was turned off by the limited Z and the lack of a ATC.

Paul

Cool, what part or RR re you at? I am off Bowman, myself. I am thinking about a mini mill and a mini lathe for my office at home. Sometimes i make real small pastic parts that would be a heck of a lot easier making on a smaller mill manually, just simple one offs.

Wuld lve to see your setup one day.

I will not be getting he tormach until a month or two. I work over seas a lot and i am leaving in a month for like 3 weeks so i will order it when i return from that trip.

Cool, i am actually looking into getting one of those smaller mills for my office, a micro lathe as well for cutting small plastic pasrts.

What part of rr areyou at, I live off Bowman drive.

2 streets south of Gattis School Road and Red Bud

Not too far, but there is nowhere in RR far away from anywhere else in RR.

Also check out the AustinMetalworkingEtc group-- meets monthly to eat BBQ, surprise the other patrons with odd bits of metal, and BS about machining topics. At least 3 other Tormach owners there I know of.

Thanks for the heads up sheed. I sent a join request. Always so helpful knowing others that use the same machinery.