586,075 active members*
4,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc O-mate M "not ready" but no alarms. BP interact 412

Fanuc O-mate M "not ready" but no alarms. BP interact 412

Hello, I have a BP interact 412 with Fanuc O-mate M control that I am trying to revive from the dead.
    I recently purchased this machine and it came with a few missing buttons and the interconnect circuit board/wiring from the control panel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-04_17-56-20_559.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	180713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-04_17-57-02_810.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	180712
    I wired in everything by hand using the system schematic which was pretty straight forward.

Upon first power up there was an alarm about RAM parity error which was due to backup battery going low. I reentered all the parameters by hand and the alarms went away. Now when I power on the machine it comes up with "not ready" message but no alarms associated with it.
    I have checked all the LEDs and voltages on all the board and everything checks out. So I was pursuing the emergency stop circuit. which also seems to check out but the system is stuck in the "not ready" state. So my question is what exactly does control need to see it order to be "ready"?
    Reading the Fanuc maintenance manual it looks like I should be able to check diagnostic address diag0021 to see the e-stop or external reset signal status.

Name:	diagnostic address 0021.jpg 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	180715
    So on power up I get
    DGN0021 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
    DGN0701 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0
    I think this is expected until the "power ON" button is pushed (correct me if I'm wrong)
    However pushing the "power ON" button does not turn on the power and is because the control is not energizing the "NC Ready" relay 2CR which in turn prevent energizing of "power ON" relay 1CR.

Name:	BP Interact 412 electrical diagram crop.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	180708
    This is sort of chicken and the egg problem and I figured I'll try something and see what I can learn. I should mention, that I physically verified all of the physical wire connections and relays.
    I decided to force the "NC ready" relay ON. In doing so it allows for the "Power ON" circuit to work and stay lit. Also the "not ready" meaasge goes away, the axes drive turns on the DRDY LED and I get the following screen
    but no prompt for homing the axis.

Name:	20130327_233748.jpg 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	180710
    The diagnostic bits change to "all clear" when the "NC ready" relay is forced ON to
    DGN0021 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
    DGN0701 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0
    I suspect that by forcing the "NC ready" relay ON I'm getting rid of the "not ready" message but hte NC is still truly not ready due to some other reason. Which is why my original question, what does NC need to see in order to be "ready"?

I have another concern which might explain things, it is the fact that the PMC slot is empty on this control. From the Fanuc documentation it seems to me that O-Mate C system uses PMC. Can someone say for certain that this is reason for the problem I describe above?
    Would the PMC have any cables going to it or it only makes connection at the main board connector? There isn't any unconnected cable inside the control cabinet and the wiring diagram supports that.

Name:	2013-02-04_19-47-03_671.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	180709
    I have contacted several owners of BP Interact machines in hopes of clearing up the PMC question but no one has responded yet.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diagnostic address 0021.png  

PMC-L just has 2 eproms in sockets 0e1/0e2 on the memory card. only PMC-M has a separate card in the pmc slot- most machines dont have(or need) the PMC-m...

x21.4 is the estop input, if its on and G121.4 is written on by the ladder(usually the first rung), the not ready goes away...g121.4 may be written via other inputs, but still 21.4 is a fixed function address- it must be on to release estop even if 121.4 coil is turned on in the ladder...MUST have both to stay ready

there is normally not a screen prompt to rehome unless it was written to do so by the oem. on most you just select 'zero return' and hold jog buttons to home, some use cycle start, or a home start button- but its ALL thru the ladder...sounds like you need a operation manual for the machine to see how the oem set it up, or else you'll need to read thru the ladder and see what does what...

been a very long day- my eyes are about shot...just rereading, trying to look at the schematic... hit the parameter button a few times to bring up the ladder display, type y48.0, then hit the w-search softkey, see what turns on that cr2... it might be 'MA', or control ready- just means the computer is loaded/ready to go... if its driven by the 'SA' signal though, well thats 'servo ready' and cant happen until after the thig comes up- so i see where youre saying the chicken/egg thing... guessing there is a boot timer, or some other input that can turn on 48.0, just gotta look at the ladder to see what it might be.

if you have chips in sockets 0e1/0e2 on your memory board, then parameter 901 bit zero should be on...typically only bits in 901 are 0 and 6 for pmc-l and serial port, might doublecheck that something wasnt typed in wrong... also, if there are any 'D' bits in the ladder used to set OEM optional functions, you will need to reset these after parity/all clearing, along with any data in timers or counters defined in the ladder... normally this stuff will be included in the operators or maintenance manuals too...again, if no documentation, you will need to read thru the ladder and figure out what does what

tc429, I've seen you post in other threads and was hopping you would give your input, thank you for that.

Some more background information:
    I don't have a machine sheet with 900s parameters, so you might be right about 900s being wrong. I'm trying to get a copy of these parameters from other owners but no success so far. After I cleared the memory due to parity error I noticed that the 900s were still in the memory while bunch of other parameters were reset. So they are what they are for now unless I can get a proper copy. I will check the 901 and see how it is set. The memory board does have two socketed chips OE1/OE2.

Name:	2013-02-04_19-48-42_223.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	180795

I have the Fanuc parameter manual but it doesn't seem to list the 900 parameters, is there just no way to tell what those parameters are to try to figure out what they need to be set at?

I've read in other threads about ladder display and I think I need to turn on a bit in one of the parameters to be able to display ladder, since pressing "DGNOS/PARAM" button only gives option to view parameters and diagnostic addresses.
    The only manuals I have are the Bridgeport maintenance manual (source of the schematic) and a factory floor calibration manual. I think all other manuals came from Fanuc. There is a set of manual on ebay that I should probably get to teach me about using this control.

Let me ask this question. What are the chances of the ladder being corrupted?
    I ask this because the previous owners did encounter a problem one day and just moved the machine to the side. Something must be wrong with the machine somewhere. They mentioned to me that they troubleshot the control and determined that the marco cassette was the culprit, but I have no idea who did the troubleshooting and weather I would trust it. From what I read the macro gets read once on the initial power up and is not used again unless the parameters are lost.

Based on your recommendation which makes a lot of sense I will investigate the ladder and see what I can come up with since things seem to check out externally.

Found how to display ladder and other diagnostic addresses that I wasn't getting before. This will help.

Name:	parameter 60.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	180799

hmm... if youve got a macro cassette you REALLY need to find someone with a similar machine... the cassette turns a standard control into a black box- you need to know how they designed it... that cassete can create custom screen pages/graphics/unimaginable stuff and it wont be in any fanuc book. it could be as simple as presetting parameters, to something that makes custom screen graphics, etc...
    normally all clear wipes 900s out too- so the cassette must be writing those. theres likely D bits in the 300+ diagnostics you will need to load to set specific machine functions, plus timer/counter stuff... look thru the ladder for a 'tmr' box instruction, there will be a D300+ address(possibly a R address, but not likely) listed, look that D up in the diagnostic page to see if its zero...if so your timers arent loaded, youll have to figure out what goes in there. if theres anything set in any 'tmr' address, thats good, then the cassette is loading them (note- 'tmrb' box instructions are preset in ladder- the value will always show in the diagnostics, but you cant change it). tmr instructions use 5 contiguous bytes of memory starting at the one defined in the box... the first 2 bytes are binary, first word is LSB, the 16 bit word * 50 milliseconds will be the time in seconds (if display shows blank bytes the next 4 after the tmr address it uses decimal preset in milliseconds- easier to read for sure, but most often you see binary...theres a parameter to change this in the standard parameters, think the bit is called DBCD but cant remember what parameter its in)

further, look thru the ladder for d300+ 'contacts' used in the logic...these are often used to enable portions of logic specific to machine hardware optrions- if you find one, w-search it to see if its written in the ladder, also like if its say d345.6 contact- if d345.6 wsearch dont display anything, then also do a d344 search and d345 search (search looks for byte read/write, wsearch looks for bit write). the reason for searching the next lower byte is some box instructions can move 2 bytes at a time... if those three searches dont find anything, then that bit is most likely a option bit- to flip it on or off, MDI/Key/PWE required, just punch in the changes on the diagnostic page... ALWAYS write down whats in there and be careful - turning those bits on can be like sticking a jumper in the logic and cause anything to happen...read all the logic related to it before changing anything, it might cause the spindle to start, the axis to take off, anything the OEM mighta put it in there for...

would strongly recommend just letting this machine sit until you can find a manual...its not that old or uncommon, not worth risking hurting yourself or the machine... I'd pull the cassette and rewrite the ladder, but most folks dont have the time or tools to go that route.

too bad it was stripped- from the looks of the panel it looks relatively unused... not familiar with that model, but its likely a pretty good example of its type- did you post in the bridgeport/hardinge mill thread yet? maybe easy to find a book - good luck

So I poked around some more. I set the parameter 901 from 00000010 to 00000011 as you suggested.
    Turns out the parameter 0060 is already set to 00000101 but I can't display the ladder. I thought maybe I was thinking backwards this whole time about how the byte is displayed so I figured I'll try setting it to 10100101 but that makes all the menu titles and button labels invisible; I changed it back.
    So I can't view the ladder. Is that because it is not being loaded? Maybe there is something else besides the 0060 parameter is needed to display ladder?

I actually have tapes for this machine one is parameters and the other is macros. The one with macros is labeled 9001+9003, I think these are tool changer macros. There is also a roll of printout with parameters kind of like a really long receipt. These are the parameters that I entered. At some point I need to figure out how to transfer from tape to some other format that I can use, since the tape reader was removed at some point.

So you recommending that I find proper 900 parameters from another machine or something else?

This machine is actually pretty nice and complete except for the buttons but that was not a big deal. These machines typically have 4k or 6k spindle and encoders on the servos. The one I'm trying to fix is linear scales and 10k spindle. Definitely a step up from mine with 6k spindle since I work with a lot of non-ferrous materials and smaller bit sizes.

doh, I'm messing you up, my memory sucks anymore- saw what you posted, looked back at what I posted, both are wrong....pmc function is not in 901 put 901 back as it was.

check your private messages

Tried sending PM but your box is full.

sorry...dont think Ive ever seen such small PM boxes as in here, I downloaded/deleted... the 3k limit on PMs is easy to hit too if typing detailed stuff, wish they would rethink that

Just to close the loop on this issue. With tc429's help we were able to track the problem down to a faulty OE2 Eprom chip. The OE2 chip produced an verification error when tried reading data off of it with a Eprom burner.

The new challenge is to find a copy of the ladder that is stored on OE1 OE2 chips. Hopefully there is someone out there with a backup or salvaged control or whatever, at this point anything will be great....
    Will post in Bridgeport section begging for help :violin:

Re: Fanuc O-mate M "not ready" but no alarms. BP interact 412

Sinij you seem to know a lot about this machine. This is a old machine I got. I can not find out how to enter cutter diameter comp. in the O mate m control. All I see is a column for length values. Could you give me some advice?
    Thanks
    Derek

I am looking for Parameters and PC Parameters for Interact 412F. If not asking for too much a copy of the electrical diagram. I have the ladder same for Interact 720F and Interact 412F
    [email protected]