586,096 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stainless steel washers, Plasma cut

Hello,

This is my first post here to the CNCZone so if I miss something, you'll know why :-)

I need a quote for some stainless steel washers with the dimensions below. They need to be cut from flat sheet steel with a plasma or water jet cutter, not cut from bar stock on a lathe. (been there tried that already) My time frame, I'd like to have them in hand by 4/11/13 if at all possible.

My biggest concerns are,
    1. Bottom side flare. For lack of better words. I've had these made with a water jet cutter and the bottom of the washers ID/OD was flared out from the water jet. I'd like to keep the difference between the top & bottom ID/OD as small as is possible.

2. The raw sheet material needs to be flat and smooth, not a ground surface, but 2B finish. These will be used as a support washer for graphite and a non flat surface will cause premature wear on the graphite parts.

3. The parts should have fairly smooth clean lines. Again, with the water jet, the sides had a really jagged rough look. It didn't effect the performance of the part, but to look at it, it didn't say "quality part" like the ones done on a plasma cutter.

Material - 12 gauge T304 Stainless Steel sheet, 2B surface finish. (MUST BE PERFECTLY FLAT, no bowed sheet pieces)
    ID/OD Tolerance +/- .004"
    Washers should be nested inside each other for maximum yield.

NW-38
    ID - 0.990"
    OD - 1.315"
    Quantity - 100+ from the remaining material, if any

NW-54
    ID - 1.455"
    OD - 1.925"
    Quantity - 80

NW-76
    ID - 2.125"
    OD -2.730"
    Quantity - 44

Parts should be tumbled with media to knock off sharp edges, and any material lip left, I can grind that off myself.

Quantities to be quoted should be adjusted in order to yield the most pieces each from the material.
    I need about 3 times as many of the NW-38, and about twice as many of the NW-54 as I do of the NW-76.

At some point down the road, I will need more, but even only 20 or so each will get me by for now. I just don't want to be killed by set-up costs is all. If you have the correct material in scrap on hand, or can nest these parts into another job to save some cost, all the better. If you can make the parts for a lot less per part with double the quantities, I will consider it. I tried to list quantities that I thought could be be cut from 4 sq/ft of material but I don't know how thin a cut a plasma cutter can make and I don't have a nesting program.

Please send quotes to scott "at" lokiresearch <dot> com and put "Washer Quote" in the subject line.

I'll watch the thread if anyone has any questions.

Thank you,

Scott Kormeier

I'd like to add that I need these made in the USA ONLY.

I also need a small quantity of the attached item made. I'm almost afraid to ask how much only 20-30 will cost. All the information is on the attachment. Unfortunately it can't be made from 12 gauge as well. It would be too heavy.

The surface finish should also be 2B and the parts tumbled to remove sharp edges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Retainer Ring.pdf 
Views:	0 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	180907

Thanks again,

Scott

Try a different waterjet guy.

Are you trying to say that a quality water jet & operator should be able to cut 12 gauge 304 without flaring out the material at all, or something else?

I'm no expert at all on which cutting technique works best for these parts. I'm just looking for the best finish edge quality without breaking the bank. Maybe someone will get a laugh here, but this is about all I know about the cutting methods. Cutting Methods Page

What was so wrong about getting these washer turned other than the cost? I have made many washers about that thickness on a lathe with no issues.

What was so wrong about getting these washer turned other than the cost? I have made many washers about that thickness on a lathe with no issues.
    They had tool drag marks/build up on one side or the other on the majority of the smallest washers, the larger ones surfaces looked nice and even but in reality the outside edge height was a few thousandths thicker than the inside edge height. Any surface roughness will easily scratch and wear on the graphite and any material build up on the washer will pit and chip it. On some other washers (larger/thicker than what I listed below) it was the inside edge that was taller. I had him go over the smallest washers with an end mill to take off the tool drag build up, and although they looks great, when I miked the part, the ID height was 2-3 thousandths thinner than the OD height. Some artifact of the milling bits end flatness. I was still in the same boat.

The problem this creates is point load stress on the graphite part which results in cracking and chipping. The graphite pieces are the most expensive part and premature wear is a big negative. The washer is more of a support rest than a washer, and to get the longest life out of the graphite, the two parts need to be perfectly flush with each other. As well, the washer can be put in place on either side. The washer face being flat is far more important than having the edge smooth and strait, but I can still allow +/-.004" on ID/OD.

The washers were always made from sheet material in the past on a plasma cutter (I believe), but it was a friend of the previous company owner who would nest them and cut them out of material on other jobs in exchange for product. So there's no records of PO's or invoices and I don't have any information on the shop or process that they were made with. I'm trying to get some of that info, but nothing yet.

If a moderator is reading this, could you take out the words "plasma cut" from the thread title please? I think I'll take the cue from Winks and see what other water jet guys can offer me. Thanks

Here is a side view of a NW-76 that was made on what I "think" was a plasma cutter. I'm not 100% sure.
    This is exactly what I am looking for.
    This particular washers OD varies by no more than .0015" which is also great.
    I can't even find the spot where the flashing was at the end of the cut, or where it was ground off.
    I think that it it where the vertical dark line is in the middle.

If you can deliver this surface finish, easily and cost effectively withing the tolerances on 12 gauge T304 stainless sheet, then I would like to speak with you.
    Attachment 180955

Waterjet finishes.

On a product as thin as yours, .001 is an easy tolerance to achieve. .0015 might be iffy.

Laser cut washers

Thanks for the edge finish reference Winks. Q1 is maybe about what the parts looked liked that I had done on a water jet. Q5 would be ut how much more cost does it ad to get the Q5 finish? Does a Q5 flare out the bottom end of the material?

I got a hold of the guy who use to make these parts on the side. He said they were made on a laser cutter at Anderson Dahlen Inc. so I was wrong in thinking they were made on a plasma cutter. He no longer works there unfortunately.

So far I've only had one person contact me about quoting these. Are the quantities too small for most people to want to mess with them? I think I need to get the thread title changed and take out "plasma cut".

The finish is mainly determined by the speed of the cut. Fast speeds are rough and the kerf is wider at the top. Slow cuts leave a very smooth finish but CAN be wider at the bottom. Just a few minutes playing with speed and garnet flow rate will get you vertical smooth cuts. But your guy needs to know his stuff and WANT to help you.

We have stuff cut on laser and waterjet quite often and our finishes are at least as good as what you've shown. Some are even better on CRS. If I were you, I'd run them through a timesaver and that would solve all your problems. The finish you're looking for should be no problem.

If you absolutely can't find anyone to do them, I can have them quoted by one of our shops but they won't be cheap since you're running into minimum order quantities and lots of shops here are busy.