586,104 active members*
3,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > NT40 no longer easy to remove from spindle.

NT40 no longer easy to remove from spindle.

I've had my Doall CNC mill for 8 or so years. It is probably a mid 1980 machine. It works 3-8 hours most days. It has a pneumatic tool changer which works very well. Literally used 10k time over the past 8 years. Recently however, the tools are not dropping out when I use the air control. The pressure is there to force the tool down, but, now 9 out of 10 times I have to use a screwdriver to break the taper lock.

I was wondering if after so many uses, that the taper lock has bedded itself in with the tools so perfectly that it doesn't want to release any more.

PS if I keep the pneumatic button pressed, the spindle actually moves down with the tool still in place.

Any suggestions?

Have you cleaned the inside of the spindle taper? And the outside of the tool shank tapers? They can collect a coating of oil and coolant film that makes them stick in the spindle. Ditto the I.D. taper.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

And check to make sure the spindle is not heating up. That can sweat tools in.

The spindle moves down? This could be the cause, that should be checked out since it could be stealing the movement needed to disengage the holder.

"the spindle moves down"!!!!....this sounds like a spindle rebuild, unless you mean the quill moves down....the spindle is inside the quill....usually......

I had to apply some wet and dry paper on a stick to clean the inside of my Int 40 taper on my Ajax mill ( manual)....it had a patina of dark brown dried oil residue that made the tool run out almost .04mm......I got a shock when I tested some new ER collets and found the all ran out ( before cleaning)....LOL.....now they run dead true.
    Ian.