586,069 active members*
3,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

backlash when using timing belts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for a low backlash timing belt? Im building a 15:1 reduction drive which needs to be very low backlash. Its for a robot im building, and similar robots currently made use a cable driven system (see pic), how would timing belt backlash compare to this?

does anyone actually have a measure of backlash on these belts? most of the suppliers i have found list parts as low backlash, but dont give a figure.

Thanks for the help,

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LargePremium%201.5.jpg  

We use HTD's on our cnc mill (BPT EZTRAK) and it mills masters at accuracies of 0.0001" with servos geared 2:1. Supposedly there are newer "backlash free ones" but I suspect it would be hard to measure an improvement over what we've go.

Our backlash comp is in the 0.0001-0.0002 range. The prime source of our backlash was the b/l in the ball screw and the lack of rigidity of the ball screw bearings.

Preloading the screws and using true, heavily preloaded ball screw bearings took care of the B/L in the system. The timning belts are the original ones that came with the machine (1996 mfg date).

Providing that you use a "timing grade" toothed belt, so called belt backlash shouldn't be an overpowering issue.

I suspect you'd ultimately see more B/L in your 15:1 gearing than in the belt you choose providing you choose a properly sized cogged and tooth belt/pulley arrangement (with proper centers, tension(ers) and adjustment and pulley wrap).

The devil is in the details and execution, not in the "big stuff"....

Contact the manufacturer for information regarding their timing belts and ask them the same question....they should have some "white papers" or "application notes" regarding the selection of belts.