586,035 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Micro steps info needed

Hi
    How do I determine the setting for the micro steps of the driver.
    I am setting up a DIY CNC plasma table.
    I am using a stepper drivers PSD 6056-2p with a NEMA 23 495 oz stepper motor.
    Thanks
    Tom

According to the manual at http://www.motionsolution.net/Downlo...PSD6056-2P.pdf you will need to set the DIP switches for the desired microstep value.

Then you will have to configure your motion control software (such as Mach3) to handle the expected number of steps per inch, based on your driver's microstep setting as well as the details of the mechanical linkage between your motor(s) and the plasma cutter head location (for example, based on ball screw pitch, any possible gearing or belt drive, or rack and pinion geometry).

I think you are asking which microstep setting YOU should use, not how to set it, correct?

A higher number of steps per revolution will give you higher resolution so you will be able to make smaller movements on the machine.
    You do not want the steps setting to be too high or mach (assuming you are using mach3) will not be able to output pulses fast enough to get the max speed you need.

It would help to know what sort of drive arrangement you have and how fast you want to be able to go. On a rack and pinion setup you might want a higher microstep setting than on a leadscrew drive machine.

Matt

Thanks for the replys
    I am asking about the micro step dip switch setting. I am running a rack and pinion for the Y axis with a 10 tooth gear. the Z is a lead screw with 13 tpi with a slight gear increase from the motor to the screw (16 tooth screw and 17 tooth on the motor). The table is running well but I just wanted to know if I needed to change the micro steps for a better operation I think I am running about 400 to 800 steps.
    I am using Mach 3 and have setup the steps per for the 3 axis just trying to fine tune the table.

Havef un
    Tom

I made a error in above post I am using a 20 tooth gear for the rack drive.

Higher number of steps will give you a bit smoother operation and more resolution. If it is working fine, I'd leave it alone.