586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc vertical mill

I figured I could get some help here. I am trying to locate a machine to learn cnc. I have run manual machines and want to run off some small parts.
    I think I could get by with a large bench top for the time being if I had to. I have tried the auction sites and seem to get sniped at the end. I live in the Great lakes reigon and find rigging and shipping from one of the coasts to be about $3200. I have about 12K to spend. Is tormach a machine to stay away from...or keep searching for a floor model, or vmc

Dude, first thing, anything less in size than a series 1 Bridgeport size will chatter like a "B", and u will not be happy. #2, if u r a toolmaker, you can run cnc, the only difference is you have to tell the machine in advance what you want to do. You only have to get familiar with the feed rates, which I believe is a self-taught thing. Don't go with feeds and speeds tooling manufactures tell you, its WAY to fast for normal use, just go with what you see as a good feed rate. It’s not hard to get used to, just do a few sample cuts. Climb cuts are better with cnc because of ball screws vs. acme screws, cause ball screws don’t have backlash, so you wont get the big KA-POW for climb milling. Don’t worry, if you know manual machining, cnc is easy. I am in Grand Rapids Mi. so we must be neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by springlakecnc View Post
    Dude, first thing, anything less in size than a series 1 Bridgeport size will chatter like a "B", and u will not be happy. #2, if u r a toolmaker, you can run cnc, the only difference is you have to tell the machine in advance what you want to do. You only have to get familiar with the feed rates, which I believe is a self-taught thing. Don't go with feeds and speeds tooling manufactures tell you, its WAY to fast for normal use, just go with what you see as a good feed rate. It’s not hard to get used to, just do a few sample cuts. Climb cuts are better with cnc because of ball screws vs. acme screws, cause ball screws don’t have backlash, so you wont get the big KA-POW for climb milling. Don’t worry, if you know manual machining, cnc is easy. I am in Grand Rapids Mi. so we must be neighbors.
    Thanks for the reply. I am in Charlevoix, just northwest of you. I found a machine, and trying to close the deal now. It is a tad bit more machine than I was looking for. But I think I got one of those deals you just can't pass on. Buy the time I get here and off the truck I will have less than 14k into the deal. The machine is a 1997 Okuma cadet V-4020. It is has every option that Okuma offered. It comes with all manuals and tons of software with the licences. The controler is a osp 5020. But no tooling in the deal. It was used in a plastic plant making molds. The thing looks showroom new. I think that is a score, I could be wrong....now I need a larger building...lol

Hi, that is so much like the inkjet printer or torch industry.........they practically give you the printer or torch and you continue forever to buy the printer cartridges and batteries.

You'll need a heap of tooling, so get advice as CNC stuff is a bit different to regular manual stuff.

Before you tool up you want to give the machine a good running over to see if any wear is apparent, especially in the ball screws.......they soon get backlash and for CNC are useless.

If the slides are dovetail or other sliding ways and wear is present, you'll have to expect some lack of control in the tolerances you want to achieve.....a rebuild cost more than a new comparable machine.
    Ian.

Customer of mine just bought a used one at 17,500. Not great condition either, so yes, sounds like a deal. The only down side is Okuma is way overpriced on control parts. I believe those machines to be made by ZPS in eastern Europe with the okuma osp control. The iron is pretty solid.