586,540 active members*
2,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Surface Grinder Help

Hey guys,

I've recently picked up a Parker-Majestic surface grinder. I'm trying to mount my wheels, and I seem to have a problem. I don't know how to mount the wheels nor do I think I have the bolts to do it. Can someone walk me through wheel mounting?

Pics Below;

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Mitchell

P.S. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, if not, mods can feel free to move it.
    Mitchell Parker
    Parker Precision Molding, Inc.

What pics?

Hi, surface grinders in the hands of novices are an accident waiting for a place to happen........you can't self learn easily without having at least one stone disintergration leading to soiled underwear etc.
    Ian.

have someone show you how to use a surface grinder

don't use any wheel that you can't ring like a bell

wear safety glasses and a thick full face shield

Always pays to be very carefull around anything with a stone.

A friend of mine converted a round table Drill press to run slower and then modified the table to spin on tapered timken bearings with an adjustment for play built in,then he modified the spindle for accuracy and converted it to take a cup type grinding stone and after adding some guards he had a thousand dollar flywheel grinder.

The table was spun up by hand the stone lowered and the table squared to the head that way,When clamping a flywheel to the table the table is simply offset and given a spin up by hand close the guards and the offset of the table to the grinding stone keeps it spinning nicely and the finished result is indistinguishable from a job done on a machine worth tens of thousands new.

But note that the use of guards is a paramount requirement of any machine with grinding wheels as when stated above when they let go they can be lethal so safety is of utmost importance,Interestingly I did a search and it seems that at least on the zone nobody else has done such a conversion food for thought people if you have a need as the conversion is not that difficult and the results are excellant and it adds to your capabilities with minimal cost.

Just remember anything that grinds needs to be well away from all other machine tools if not in a separate room for nothing is worse for the slideways of a machine than grinding dust,So it is not just safety one has to be aware of with surface grinding as a newbie.