586,112 active members*
3,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Power Source selection? for stepper motor driver

Power Source selection? for stepper motor driver

Hello,
    I am working on project to automate the feed rate for a drill press, using a single stepper motor.
    We have selected an an automation technology stepper motor and driver, and we intend to contol this using an arduino UNO microcontrol board.

stepper motor: KL23H2100-30-4B High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc
    driver: KL-4030 Stepper Motor Driver, Automation Technology Inc

My question is what do we need to consider for our power source selection to power the stepper motor driver?
    Suggestions as to what would work? (cost and compact size is critical for this project)

I have no background with this type of thing and I have read a number of conflicting/confusing things reguarding power source selection.
    Any and all advice is appreciated.

The KL-4030 specs say:

Voltage 24 to 40VDC, current up to 3.0 A

So you could use a power supply that meets those specs, or if you intend to drive the motor with the maximum current, you could decide to get a power supply with a rated output current that exceeds 3 amperes (just to provide some additional "headroom").

I do not know the details of your application - if you have a need for torque at higher speeds, you may want to aim for voltages closer to the higher limit. The motor has a relatively high winding inductance, and so the rule of thumb that people use to find the optimum voltage to achieve better performance at higher motor speeds would be over 80 volts, but that is outside of the capabilities of the KL-4030. So maybe a 36-volt supply would be adequate.