586,112 active members*
3,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Digitizing and Laser Digitizing > Laser Scanner for Imperfect flat material

Laser Scanner for Imperfect flat material

Hello,
    Can anyone tell me how to use Laser Scanner to perform acquisition laser, through which the user can acquire the surface of the marble or any flat material to be able to follow its profile and obtain always a perfect incision. Like the engrave machine from incimar INCIMAR s.r.l. | Engraving Machine MH and this video shows such action Pro Carv.
    I want to use the video probing plug-in for Mach3 wrote by Tom Hubin (+) to Laser Scan (Webcam+Laser Pointer) marble and granite, which I found most of them are not perfect flat and make engraving process difficult to obtain constant depth.
    I know another way is to combine the point cloud of the granite surface with the toolpaths to engrave and make them 3D toolpath. But I saw the Incimar machine uses the scanned Z-depth direct to the loaded toolpath to perform variable Z-null according to imperfect material surface.

Any idea please..

Xtal2 - Cliff

The flatness of a polished slab of marble may not be perfect, but its inconsistencies will be smaller than a rig like that will be able to detect, although it should do an adequate job of detecting the edges. If you're having trouble engraving it, use a spring-loaded tool like this one: Spring Loaded Engraving Tools engrave flat and uneven surfaces .

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Andrew,

Thank you for advice. For the last 4 years I am using spring loaded system to profiling and pocketing more than 400 granite (Tombstone) with very good result for small granite up to 40x40 cm surface. For 60 cm and above slap, which sometimes the inconsistencies of the surface could be 2-3 mm, due to Hooke's Law principle of the spring, its force vary. And for engraving hard material like granite it makes very noticeable, that the profile or the pocket deeper or shallower.

I think laser scan has the sensitivity up to 0.2 mm, for me 0.5 mm is enough.