586,383 active members*
3,605 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Speeds/Feeds ... for a nub

Angry Speeds/Feeds ... for a nub

Hello,

Here is the situation:

Material: H13;

Cutter: 10inch shank + approx. 1.3inch screwed-on head (H) & 1inch (D), with two inserts;

Inserts: swb2100hse + swb2100hwe (or swb2100hme);

Speeds/Feeds: approx. 945RPM / 600 mm/min.

I am having a hell of a time with a depth cut of 0.150mm. I am going through one set of inserts every 45-60 min.

There is no way to change the 10in-shank cutter assembly as the slots I have to make in this H13 material are just a little less deep than that. Now, for clarity I am re-working existing surfaces by dropping them about 30mm (approx. first 15mm of work, only sides of cutter engaged; rest, both sides & bottom engaged). But let me tell you I may be a noob overall but for crying out loud, don't get yourself committed to work involving post heat-treated material CNC work. It just sucks

Any suggestions as I am at about 25% work done and I feel I should probably throw in the towel (feeds/speeds/strategy, etc.).

Many thanks!

Chris.

1 hour in cut for heat treated H13 is pretty good.
    Don't beat your self over it.

I could not find any info on inserts you are using.... 600mm/min for 900 rpm seems like a high feed though.

If you want longer tool life try reducing Cutting speed.

If you are using Feed Mill, Your Chipload seems a little light though especially at that depth of cut.
    I would try increasing that.(unless your machine or cutter complains too much)

Overall decreasing cutting speed and increasing feed may give you the same cycle time but longer tool life.
    http://zero-divide.net
    FSWizard:Advanced Feeds and Speeds Calculator

Thank you!

I just left the shop but I will have a chance to try a lower Speed and keep the Feed at 600mm/min. I have two HAAS VM-3 machines with 40Tapper.

Thanks so much for your time and quick reply.

Chris.

Hi Chris -

Not sure if the 10 inch shank is length of the tool, or what you are trying to tell us there.
    Pictures, or prints are worth a thousand words here though.
    In either case, 45-60 minutes with inserts in hardened H13 does not appear to be bad tool life IMHO.

Speeds and feeds do not appear to be out of range either, but I am not familiar with the inserts you are writing about.
    Hopefully, you have deferred to the insert manufacturer for style, grade, and speeds and feeds already.
    If not, I always suggest starting there.
    I have been machining for over 35 years, and I still call the major manufacturers when starting a project as inserts grades change every year.
    Also, remember that NOBODY makes the best of everything, and you may need to do some testing to optimize - samples should be free!'
    Plus - remember that inserts are application specific - there is not one size fits all with carbide grades.

Additionally, it is critical that your setup and cutters be very stable for hard material.
    Even with that, my experience hard machining H13 tells me that corners can be unbelievably hard and will eat cutters.
    Whenever possible, it is best to start with radii in the corners (pre carb) so you do not have a situation with ultra-hard edges.

Again, without seeing the part or the cutter, I have had some success using solid carbide for post carb work with side milling only.
    Not sure if that makes sense with this part as you need to mill the bottom as well.

Hope that helps a bit.

Scott

Thank you kindly for all your responses, Zer0_Divide & Scott.

The previous job, which sparked my initial call for help, was accomplished somehow and probably by the grace of the almighty: the job was later some 1.5 weeks; the 11inch shank broke but left enough length behind for someone else to finish the job.

In the meantime I have left to do a tasking with the Military Reserves. I have returned and only to discover that the Owner has accepted and similar job yet even more complicated. In this situation, I no longer have the luxury of one + bottom cut, now I am dealing with two side + bottom cut. Learning from the previous job, the vibrations of two side + bottom will break the tool for sure.

Any suggestions on the strategy that I adopt? At this time I willing to try anything.

Much like Scott suggested, a pic is attached while I am using the same cutting speed/feed info.

Thank you in advance,

Chris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	181819

The previous job, which sparked my initial call for help, was accomplished somehow and probably by the grace of the almighty: the job was later some 1.5 weeks; the 11inch shank broke but left enough length behind for someone else to finish the job.

In the meantime I have left to do a tasking with the Military Reserves. I have returned and only to discover that the Owner has accepted and similar job yet even more complicated. In this situation, I no longer have the luxury of one + bottom cut, now I am dealing with two side + bottom cut. Learning from the previous job, the vibrations of two side + bottom will break the tool for sure.

Any suggestions on the strategy that I adopt? At this time I willing to try anything.

Much like Scott suggested, a pic is attached while I am using the same cutting speed/feed info.

Thank you in advance,

Chris.

ID:	181820

Thank you in advance,

Chris.

ID:	181821