586,119 active members*
3,599 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Can Gecko drive this motor?

Can Gecko drive this motor?

I just purchased several 60VDC servo motors. They are rated 8.5 amps continuous which makes them 510 watt and a little more than 1/2 hp. The peak amps are 70 and peak torque is 3500 oz-in (continuous torque is 560 oz-in). The manufacture told me that the peak amps is not what the motor is limited to, but the amount of amps that will demagnetize the motor.

Will a Gecko 320 or 340 drive this motor effectively (to its potential) or do I need to go to a Rutex 40 amp drive?

Thanks

Vince

Hmm... How come the resident Gecko guru's have not answered this question? It's been sitting here for two days unanswered.

I am not a guru but Gecko will handle the 8.5 amps easy. The 70 amps seems hi compared to the 8.5amps. Geckos drive brush type motors and i think are a great drive. I can't think of a reason to set your drive at above the 20 amps that geckos run.
    mike

I know a Gecko 320 can handle 8.5 amps, that was not my question. I want to know if it can run this motor effectively. Will it be able to accelerate to its potential, or will that blow the drive or slow the motor? I don't quite understand the internal working of the drive. I am an electrician and know about motor starting amps verses running amps. I know high efficiency motors and draw 20 to 30 times their running amps on start up. In a CNC environment the motor is constantly starting and stopping. Is the current limited by shortening the pulse to the motor? AC and DC motor starters can handle lots of current for a short time to start the motor. Is the 20A rating of the 320 an instantaneous value or over several milliseconds?

Thanks

Vince

Vince
    If I were you I would call gecko, they really are a great bunch to work with. I could tell you what i think but they can give you the right anwser.
    mike

Yes is will

I called Gecko today and talked with Mariss. I learned more about servo motors, drives and encoders than I thought possible. The 20A limit of the 320 will not limit torque or effect acceleration. I did find out that I purchased the wrong encoders for my motors. The 320 has a limit of 50 mA to the encoder. I ordered some that will work from US digital. Now I have two spare Renco RM21D3-1000-6MM-5-CA18-LD-1-C-G6 encoders for sale. Any takers?

Vince

Not on the encoders, but if you have a spare pair of the motors that you want to sell, or a lead on where to buy them, please contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by N4NV
    I called Gecko today and talked with Mariss. I learned more about servo motors, drives and encoders than I thought possible. The 20A limit of the 320 will not limit torque or effect acceleration. I did find out that I purchased the wrong encoders for my motors. The 320 has a limit of 50 mA to the encoder. I ordered some that will work from US digital. Now I have two spare Renco RM21D3-1000-6MM-5-CA18-LD-1-C-G6 encoders for sale. Any takers?

Vince

N4NV....guess I have to ask the difficult question....have you talked with the Gecko people.....namely Mariss.......well have ya......

UH, yes

I guess you did not read the post you replied to.

Vince