586,068 active members*
4,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Cost of Mastercam
Page 1 of 2 12

Cost of Mastercam

I am taking a Solidworks/Mastercam course at the local college. The primary focus is on Solidworks. Mastercam is a small segment of the class.
    We were shown a few things in MCam and the teacher knocked Mastercam saying it was only a $1,500 program?! WTF?

I wanted to call bull**** on it, but I don't know the exact price. I thought the full-blown package was over $20,000?

Could someone please let me know the price of Mastercam?

Thanks!
    FMJ

Call bull as it is more then that. are you talking about Mastercam for Solidworks or Mastercam stand alone?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

X6 stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Call bull as it is more then that. are you talking about Mastercam for Solidworks or Mastercam stand alone?

Those that can't do, teach

Ya, waaay more. Hell, i think the manual alone was over $200.00

So you know is starts a $5,000 just for mill not talking anything else. what collage if I may ask?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Why would anyone knock on software for being cheap..? I'm sure it's debatable whether or not Mastercam is the best CAM software out there, but is there anyone sane who wouldn't jump at the opportunity of buying it for $1500? lol..

(Those that can't do, teach )

Well I teach and I am a full time user for 25 years. My main buss is Consultant programming for allot of company's.

I know enough to be danger-res for sure.
    Cadcam

I just love it when "professors" espouse how they know all, and are totally full of bullshiite! Tell that yahoo he's as clueless as they come, even Alibre is over $1500 for the CAM.

My maintenance for Mill Level 3, Lathe, and Solids is $1650 per year!

My company just investigated the price of Mastercam and we were told 18,000 (Canadian).

I could be entirely wrong here but isn't there a mastercam student version that is $1500, and I think you can do everything as the full blown mastercam you just can't post?

But I think you can maybe program in it then load it into another computer then post using it. Anyway I am interested to know as I currently have 1 license for Mastercam X5 Mill Level 2 and kind of want another, but would rather go this route and just load everything into the full blown version then post. (Anyone know if Mastercam has a server license like Solidworks by the way that would be just as useful).

there is a HLE edtion then lets do every thing but post but is also a EMCX7 now format that can not be opened in a industrial license. the EDU lic is only sold to schools and does everything including posting. the discounted cost is not offered to the public.
    As for another seat you can get a discount for a second seat but this would be after you have updated to the latest as you no longer purchase X5 but on X7 as it has been released to the public now. you really need to talk to your dealer on what your options are.there are more.

PS yes Mastercam has a network lic option for company's that have mufti seats.
    Cadcam

get your teacher to try a $1500 software like bobcad for a while , I'm sure he'd be quickly crawling back to mastercam .
    As was already mentioned , $1500 basically covers yearly maintenance in the industry
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I signed up just to put this out to you guys, as I am a student, and I am currently learning about the different programs that are commonly used in the CNC workplace.

Mastercam costs what you guys think it does, but for the educational system they can buy level 3 student seats for their schools and they only cost $1500. That is what I was told by my instructor, and that the software is really as expensive as you guys proclaim..... Damn impossible for small businesses to get a leg up if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by WBWHINC View Post
    My company just investigated the price of Mastercam and we were told 18,000 (Canadian).
    You will find it about 40% cheaper in the US for some strange reason. Also dealers will price it based on how much they think you will pay. Especially In House Solutions in Canada.

See if you can use a US based company to purchase. I know. It's a bit of a joke with the dollar at par?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLMT View Post
    You will find it about 40% cheaper in the US for some strange reason. Also dealers will price it based on how much they think you will pay. Especially In House Solutions in Canada.

See if you can use a US based company to purchase. I know. It's a bit of a joke with the dollar at par?

John
    I had a quote a few years back for $32,000, but that included some basic 5-axis functionality. I found out through some research that US customers were being quoted $16,000 for the same solution. So InHouse was doubling the quote for us. Needless to say, we didn't follow through.

I'm a believe in the theory that if you can't publish the price, then you are hoping to pull some shenanigans.

I looked into another piece of software for class-a automotive surface creation, and I was told the price was $10K to $55K depending on how big your company was, and how much you could afford to pay. The reseller actually asked me how much we could afford to pay!! Unbelievable!! That's what I mean by shenanigans.

Dan

The resellers will tell you the cost if you ask for it. They do not advertise, as it is not cheap. But yes the basic Level 1 Mill program by itself with no solids support, no surface toolpath support, no multi-axis support, and no probe tool path support starts at $5000. ( Before the maintenance contract )

Level 3 with full 3D toolpath support and solid modeling ( no multi-axis, and no probe ) runs around $18k... ( Negotiable )

Sure it's not a $1500 software package. But it has all of the capabilities 99.9% of shops would need, and it's common enough that finding employee's who are familiar with it is not that difficult.

HELLO,
    I am seeking a CAD certificate,and of the program that is offered from my school is Master cam.
    After reading all your posts a bout the price of the software. I start thinking about how that course will be help full on the job market.most of the shops will not afford to pay for it. could you please help me to decide ?
    thanks

I teach CAM training at a college. We don't teach mastercam any longer but I wish we did because the vast majority of jobs in the area call for it. Big companies, small companies, everything in between. It might be the region but the overwhelming requests for it seem commonplace.

However, the differences from program to program is fairly small when you get down to the final product. Generally speaking if you learn one CAM software then you can be useful in many others just by learning the minor differences between them. The interface on some is more user friendly, the toolpath control is better with some, the ease of use without machining knowledge is better with others, etc.

Hello ydna,
    Thanks for the Info.

In our area most shops don't use Mastercam. This area is a Powermill/WorkNC heavy area. Lots of mold and die shops. Our local college doesn't teach the programs that people would need to work in this area, they teach Mastercam and Cadkey. I met with the decision makers at the college a few years ago and asked if it was possible to start teaching programs that could actually be useful. Their response was that they teach Mastercam because they got it for free.

It was pretty clear that the best interests of the students were low priority. We even suggested that since Cadkey was long ago bankrupt and gone, that maybe it was time to start looking at other programs, like Solidworks. Nope, cost too much.

Page 1 of 2 12