586,047 active members*
3,639 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Dedicated CNC programmer in small/medium sized shop?

Dedicated CNC programmer in small/medium sized shop?

I'm trying to convince management that we would be better having one dedicated programmer than having 5 different setup guys designing programs and making changes constantly at the machine. We have 6 lathes, 2 milling centers, and a 5-axis. What advice can you give me of the benefits of what i described? The main ones i see is consistency and control.
    M.E.
    www.wheeler-ind.com

I'm not sure this is the right forum, it is more of a management issue than anything. However posting in a programming section might grad more readers. Either way I can see a wild debate coming.

Quote Originally Posted by kkarasch View Post
    I'm trying to convince management that we would be better having one dedicated programmer than having 5 different setup guys designing programs and making changes constantly at the machine.
    This depends significantly on the type of shop you have and the work done there. I've have had some experience in an FDA regulated environment and as such modifications to programs would take an act of congress. On the flip side you have job shops where you have no alternative but to allow the guy at the machine significant programming access. Here is no simple answer.
    We have 6 lathes, 2 milling centers, and a 5-axis.
    The machines don't mater, what you do with them does mater.
    What advice can you give me of the benefits of what i described?
    Context is everything, doing what you describe could be a liability.
    The main ones i see is consistency and control.
    Consistency can be very important. To much control can be dangerous leading to alienated and even bored people manning the machines. Control can be destructive to moral and may lead to the loss of talent. If your focus is control you are already off on the wrong foot.