586,114 active members*
3,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Torus Pro

Torus Pro

Hi.
    I am seriously looking at the Pro and went for a visit to see the machines and was impressed, but I need to ask some questions of the people who own and run the machines.
    Is anybody using them in a production environment re short run ( 10 to 100 ) or using them all day.
    How do they hold up cutting Stainless or titanium.
    I do have a ton of questions but a bit at a time.
    Thanks
    Forrey.

I am just starting to use mine in a "production" environment, but almost entirely on aluminum. So far, I am very pleased. I see no reason it wouldn't be just fine on harder materials. Certainly it handles mild steel every bit as well as aluminum. In this size and price range, I don't see what else you could possibly buy that would come close. I couldn't find anything that wasn't either much smaller and/or much more expensive. To me, the only serious competitor is the Tormach 1100, which has much smaller travels, and is nowhere near as fast, and has a slower spindle. There are the Smithy machines, which are the same *basic* machine, but, again much smaller travels. AFAIK, none of the others are available with servos either.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Novakon is has just released the "Pulsar" as well. It's a redesign and from the description is top notch for a CNC mill of this class.

visit them again and bring some SST and Ti have them cut a circle , square , and triangle stacked up on each other

then you can see for your self and have a mark up of the machines performance

Hi, Thanks for the responses, so far this is the best thing all things considered.
    I have been looking at Dave Decaussin's UMC-10 which seems to be a sweet thing and there are lots of things about it I would prefer to have on a machine over the Pro but they do not seem to be set up very well at the present time and the shipping cost would kill me.
    Forrey.

I was at Cabin Fever this past weekend where Novakon had both a Torus and a Pulsar on display. Both are quite impressive and a great step up from previous models.

I was impressed with the build quality of the control cabinet electronics on the Torus.

Quote Originally Posted by kvom View Post
    I was at Cabin Fever this past weekend where Novakon had both a Torus and a Pulsar on display. Both are quite impressive and a great step up from previous models.

I was impressed with the build quality of the control cabinet electronics on the Torus.
    Did you happen to snap a few pictures of the Pulsar?