586,100 active members*
2,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Decent G-Code Editor

Hi gurus. Looking for a bit of info. I have a Mitsubishi High Speed cutter that has a max cut of .020 on a part that is 2" thick. That's 100 cuts around the part to get to depth. I can reduce cut time by eliminating the lift and repositioning moves each time it goes around the part. I have been hand editing code but it takes hours for each part.

Does anyone know of a program (cheap) that can edit code by looking at specific loops or repetitions? I have BOBCAM to produce code and DNC4U to edit and send/receive.

Thanks.

there's nothing. Mastercam can produce optimized cutting paths but you won't find any program that can take 100 long-hand g-code cuts and make it less. That would be like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You might be able to machine it a different way or with a different cutter or multiple different types of cutters to make it take less cuts but that'll require some knowledge and innovation.

Notepad and a six-pack.

I believe you can still download NCPlot V1 for free.
    Extremely basic but has graphics and a find-and-replace command.

IDK your control but I would reprogram using a sub routine, will be very simple because you only need to cut and paste the "roundabout" code once. The main body of the program will only be a few lines. One stating to repeat the sub 100 times and a couple of lines to change to incremental, Z move of -.02, and change back to absolute (assuming that you program in absolute mode).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

What you could do is optimize your cutting data. Try G-Wizard
    GWizard: A CNC Machinist's Calculator for Feeds and Speeds

Please post an example before/after.

Lightbulb

Not a solution, but some tools and ideas.

If all the Z passes are the same, start with making it a loop or sub program.

A good test editor with color syntax highlighting makes a big difference if your editing g-code (or just reading it for verification)
    Predator editor CNC code specific editor with tools just for g-code, but expensive if not part of you CAM package.
    UltraEdit A great customizable editor meant for computer programers, but a little customization to the syntax definitions and it is great for g-code. < $100
    Notepad++ Another editor meant for computer programers but free. Same deal, edit the syntax definitions.

A back plotter and/or virtual CNC
    Predator software offers both.
    NCPlot
    LinuxCNC virtual machine running the "simulation hardware" works as a free backplotter.

another CNC text editor with CNC-specific color highlighting is NCLink and it's free......
    CAD CAM CNC software solutions by OneCNC CAD/CAM

NC Corrector is free and runs well on more recent machines:

NC Corrector, free G-Code editor.

Listed here: Previewing G-Code - ShapeOko

I was in the same situation. I did some reading about Macro programming. I also asked a friend who is an Application Engineer for help.

What you want to do is loop your program. The book that helped me was Parametric Programming For CNC Machining & Turning Centers. You can purchase it from CNC Concepts. The book is written by Mike Lynch. There web-site is: CNC Concepts, Inc.

I used Ncplot to check my code.

I hope this helps.

Maybe you need cam software, that fits your needs.