586,103 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > need help face machining with grooving tool in Gibbs

need help face machining with grooving tool in Gibbs

I have a job that requires a face of the part to be undercut. it also has a protruding shaft.

I purchased a face groove and turn tool from iscar. Which will undercut the face along a shaft

the problem in Gibbs is when i specify the geometry for the undercut. I can plunge cut from the center of the part out or from the center of the geometry.
    My tool requires the first plunge to be within a range of diameters. .98 dia. to 1.18 dia. These diameters do not fall into the center range of the geometry to be cut.

question is: can you specify the starting point for plunge cutting in Gibbs. and then work toward the center and toward the outside of the part

gibbs version is from 2006

I use a lot of face groovers also... I generally just create a point on the geometry within my initial range, then tell my tool to start cutting at that point.

If you wanted to get really in-depth with it, you could create a new workgroup, and create a diameter at whatever point you want to start at, then tell the tool to follow that for the initial plunge.

Should note also: make sure your setup guy knows which side of the groove tool you are using to touch off, ID or OD.

Double post...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Jagoda View Post
    Should note also: make sure your setup guy knows which side of the groove tool you are using to touch off, ID or OD.
    ... that takes all the fun out of it!
    (especially when the job comes back a year later, the programmer has left, and the poor setup guy has to read thru the code to figure out which side to touch off to
    because the pompous programmer couldn't be bothered to put it in a comment)

Hey... I have BEEN that pompous programmer! Lol. Hence the cautionary note.

Thanks guys ....I was hoping there was a easier way.
    I will be making these qty 25 pcs. The thing is the od and the outer 45 chamfer dia. changes with every order. some are bigger some are smaller maybe just be 20-30 thou but up to 2-3 inches.(these are used in the paper making process).
    center shaft dia. is always the same.

I have been playing with the peck grooving cycle in Gibbs and It looks like i just need to play with my geometry creation to get every thing to work.
    Thanks for the tip on the id/od touch off.....Since I am the only guy here .....I probably will forget.