587,047 active members*
2,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buried in Demos ....Help?

In need of some direction from you guys. A few weeks ago I lost my access to a copy of Alibre expert because of a change in employers. I had been using it with my copy of Sprutcam 8. The machine I use is a Tormach 1100 with a 4th axis. As you can see I am in need of a CAD program. I liked Alibre and am not completely against replacing it with a copy of my own, but seeing as it is my money and choice now I wanted to see what was available. I have downloaded demos of Bobcad-cam, Alibre, Rhino, and Ironcad. These are programs in my budget with decent reputations. I sat down and thought this would be easy.....sigh. I liked Rhino's layout and there rendering is impressive, but don't need rendering. How you make a part is completely different for me...is it worth learning? Thought I would hate Bobcad, but was surprised at how quickly I could put a drawing together. I have not figured out how to extrude the 2d drawing yet or accurately dimension the part, but was able to get the general shape of what I was drawing rather quickly. Ironcad also was able to get a 3d part out quickly , but having to add shapes to shapes to get one part is weird to me and once again once that starts am having a hard time getting exact dimensions . Then we come to Alibre. I can get exactly what I want from this software, but its going to cost me. I could downgrade from expert but I start losing the ability to make assemblies though I never used it. Was nice to know it was there if I did...silly I know. Could drop all the way to PE if I gave up 2D. The biggest thing is the ability to direct edit the part which you lose in lower editions. All the other Cad systems I am viewing can do that. Bobcad has a Bobart add-on that I really think looks fun and opens a door that I have never had opened to me before. I have a 1000 things spinning in my head and I trying to plow through this and make a great choice for me and hopefully find a good software choice that stays with me and works with what others around me are using. What I would appreciate is you guys giving your opinion on this software list and where you guys would suggest concentrating on. Is there one I missed? I am willing to learn a new software, but I need to start eliminating some on this list and feel good about the one I settle on. Thanks for the help!

If you go through Alibre's sales folks you can purchase the options you need. I bought PE, added the file formats I needed, and 64 bit support. I have assemblies and support for 2D and 3D. I paid considerably less than the price for Expert. Tell the sales folks what you need and they will help you get a good price.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)