586,393 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simple Bar Feeder

Gentlemen,

I have a customer that has been in business for over 22 years that has developed a simple "12' Bar Feeder" for CNC turning Centers. He is currently using one on a older QT-20 Mazak and a Newer Okuma L470BB-M (OSP E100).

I told him that there is a huge market for such an animal and he tells me there isn't...

If there was a 12' Bar Feeder on the market for Under $6,000.00 that does not require an expensive Machinery/OEM Interface option. Would you be interested?

Let me know your thought,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

For me a 12’ long bar feeder would not be an option, by the time you add on the length of the machine you would be looking at say 19’ minimum in length, that’s a lot of space. Give me a 1 meter, magazine fed bar feed which I can get 30 or 40 meters of material in so the machine can run over night. Where I used to work we ditched our 12’ bar feeds. :nono: its not for me

Pauluk,

Thank you for the reply. I understand what you are saying. The unit I'm talking about would not be a solution for a shop such as yours. It would be more for a smaller shop working one shift that needs an edge on his local competition. I'm not sure but it sounds like you are doing more production work rather than "Job Shop" work. Excuse the term. I hate it myself "Job Shop"... It just seems to imply that anyone can do the work.

At the risk of sounding like a salesman (which I am), I'd like to explain why I like the idea.

1. It can be installed on machines already out in the field without a barfeed interface. The average OEM interface retrofit is $4,300.00 and that does not include the Service Techs installation charge.

2. Average cost for a 12' barfeeder: $12,000.00

3. Average cost for a Mag. Loader: $20,000.00

4. Saw time costs money... Which as you know is required for bar pullers & short mag. loaders.

5. Smaller remnant size.

6. When quoting... Keeping it simple secures more orders.

7. Machine attendants cost less than Machine Operators.

8. If you could use a bar puller on 12' stock safely and worry free. We would all be selling them.

To me, some of these smaller shops need a competitive edge. This is just a possible solution.

Thanks again for your feedback,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

I already have such an animal on our QT-10. It is air powered, has a 1 5/8" bar capacity and it works quite well. We use it often. This bar feeder is so simple anyone could build it for probably $300.00 plus about 12 hours of work. It came with the machine when we bought it, and I have only seen one other one in my travels. One paticular job we run is a small threaded part that is only about .250" long. We put one bar in and it runs by itself for almost a full shift

Steve; Now I no longer feel unique; we built three bar feeds for similar to what you mention. The only difference is ours are hydraulic using coolant; less likely to have a bar jam and then break free like a bullet with 120psi air behind when the operator opens the door and puts their hand in the way. Also we can put the pressure up to 300 psi or more to reliably advance very small diameters. Ours are designed for just over 6 feet; I have had 12 feet long bar feeders and they take up too much room. Also having 8 feet of bar sticking out the back of the spindle spinning at up to 4k gives me the willies even if it is inside a tube. With our feeders the machine interface for two is a relay activated by a user M function to turn on the hydraulic pump, for the other it is we tapped into the air line supplying the cylinder that opens the chuck and have an air operated valve on the hydraulics.